1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 - Fuel Pump Not Priming

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Did first session, cutout momentarily once but fired back into life.
    Second session - cut out in the middle of Druids. Wouldn't restart. Van of shame back to pits.
    Back at pits, restarted once.
    Now won't start at all.

Dash lights come on and starter turns fine. Fuel pump does not prime.

Checked all fuses - ok
    Solenoid - appears ok
    Lifted tank to check pump wires and connector ok
    Battery box out. Wiggled, disconnected everything ok
    Immobiliser aerial ok
    All connectors pulled apart and reconnected OK.

Basically it's not priming.

Any ideas??

IMG_20200903_123751.jpg

2. Pump relay

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I'm going to second the pump relay.

4. Could be. I removed that (said solenoid but meant relay) and it appeared fine. Anyway of testing it?

5. you should be able to feel it (clicking) switching inside Richard,

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. A kind man with a 749 had a stash of new relays... Put it in and..... Fuck all. Same!
    Error code 37.2 which is immobiliser.
    Fiddled with aeriel again. Nothing.

Bugger.

7. Would you have access to your code card Richard? - perhaps Mrs Richard if at home can help..

! Found this is the workshop manual:

Immobilizer override procedure

If the immobilizer system is not functioning you can use the following emergency procedure to start the engine.

1. 1 turn the ignition key to ON and turn the throttle grip to its fully open position. The EOBD (4) light, which will have illuminated, will switch off after 8 seconds.

2. 2 when the EOBD light switches off, release the throttle.

3. 3 the EOBD light will now start flashing. Now enter the electronic release code shown on the CODE CARD given to the customer when the motorcycle was delivered by the dealer.

4. 4 count a number of flashes of the EOBD light equivalent to the first number of the secret code. At this point open the throttle completely and leave it in the fully open position for two seconds before releasing it. The EOBD indicator light illuminates steadily for four seconds, thereby confirming that the first digit of the secret code has been acknowledged. Repeat the operation until you have entered the final digit. If you fail to perform any operation with the throttle, the EOBD light will flash 20 times and then illuminate steadily to inform you that the procedure must be repeated from step 1.

5. 5 When you release the throttle, if the code was inserted in the correct way, the following will occur:
    • - the EOBD light will flash for 4 seconds to indicate that the system is unlocked and then switch off (or switches off immediately if the engine is started within the four seconds).

• - the CODE symbol on the display flashes to indicate the system is unlocked; this continues until the engine is started.
    6 Should the code NOT be entered correctly the EOBD light and CODE symbol stay on and the procedure can be repeated starting from step 1 for as many times as necessary.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sounds like a tricky process. I think I'll just give up for today. Thanks though.

9. Is the key near the aerial ring?

10. as it's your track bike, when you get back would it be worth sending the ECU to @chrisw to get the immobiliser disabled?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 37.2 could be as simple as a duff battery.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Battery is brand new.

13. Aye.
    Given up now, bike back on trailer.

14. 13 track miles for 155 quid... And the sun's out too... Bargain!

15. Ricky.. I think it's time for a proper track bike, nice screaming 2 stroke 250Gp, no Immobiliser, just noise and smoke :upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Back home.
    Tried the procedure that @Sev suggested but that doesn’t work as my EODB light isn’t illuminated.

Tried the red key - nowt.

Basically, when I turn it on the red triangle light flashes twice and then the “code” symbol flashes on the dash constantly. No fuel pump priming.
    Error code is now 37.3.
    Battery is back on the optimate to charge, despite being brand new and had enough charge for me to keep trying to fire it up all day while trying to get it working.

17. booked / run through protwins?

18. I know it may seem daft, but it might be worth you checking over all your earths, especially the ECU earth and the battery terminal cluster cables just to eliminate all of that malarky.

Also check the cables under the relay housing as they could have become frayed as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. just to add, if they are, I had to pretty much do the same level of surgery on the 749 loom so you're welcome to pop round and play with connectors and crimpers. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. I hate the looms and some of the connectors that started at 749/Ugly time.. I almost think there is a market for a higher quality loom run for several bikes, i’d remove the front to rear loom connector for starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information