1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 gear change issues

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by JuttyM, Jan 23, 2014.

1. On Sunday I finally got to put some miles (170) on my new-to-me 749. Previously I had the problem of it being stuck in gear and found the fluid to be black so flushed and bled the system and got it into neutral - I hadn't ridden again until sunday. I love the bike but clutch/gear change issues are annoying me

1) Clutch drag when the lever is back to the grip, the bikes moves - I adjusted the screw to dial it out
    2) Persistent problem finding neutral, takes a few attempts going between 1st & 2nd
    3) Huge throw between 1st & 2nd but takes less movement from 2nd upwards to change gear
    4) No gear change feel at all through my foot. I just have to guess it actually changed gear, sometimes it didn't

Is this what I should be expecting or does anybody recognise these symptoms being related to a known problem (master cylinder, clutch plates, worn selectors, etc etc)

The bike is an '07 with 8500 miles on it. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. Did you bleed the clutch master thru the small bleed inside the reservoir? 6mm hex, just treat it as a normal bleed screw.
    Is the selection of neutral at standstill, with engine on? If so, it's clutch drag and may be down to bleeding as above.
    1st to 2nd is a little longer as you go thru neutral. Change is usually pretty good. Feedback is usually just the pressure of the lever movement..not really a clunky box.
    I'd check the bleeding first and go from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. ^ what Nelly said

4. I bled from the slave, so i'll try the reservoir. I'm definitely not getting any feedback at all through the change and 1st thru 2nd is way longer than any other bike i've had.

Saying that, when i got the bike the gear change was set in a position on the rod (seems like 2 settings) that pretty much pointed it to the ground - too extreme for me - so i set it back to 'normal' Not sure how they are usually set

5. Mines started doin this today ..the bite point is At the end of the lever ...a couple of times today I revved it in gear with the clutch lever in and it crept forward .....SCARY !!

6. ok so mine started being silly on sunday after a spirited 110 mile ride
    wont snick into neutral at standstill with engine on yet once the engine is turned off and back on, it finds neutral normally
    lever also doesnt seem to be disengaging clutch at the normal point in the lever arc - its as though it wants to be pulled closer into the bar to achieve the same level of disengagement if that makes sense

shall i try to bleed as above and take it from there? clutch pack recently replaced (adige) and fluid changed at last service courtesy of @nelly 12 months ago and less than 1k miles

7. Worn or warped clutch plates after the fluid being bled through, check the pressure plate bearing and push rod on the way into the plates, poor selection can be clutch related! So don’t focus too much on this until the creep is sorted, investigate the entire clutch assembly and look for major signs of wear/scoring

very similar to another thread about clutch related problems!

8. The clutch plates and possibly basket will sort the creep.....most probably, the selection issue will be the gear change assembly behind the stator cover! 916 through to 999 had this issue! The big tell is when selecting 1st the gear lever feels like it gets 1st and then sort of goes a bit more, if you manage to get second the lever travels what feels like a long way back up! (In truth it got stuck) 3rd 4th ect feel normal.
    Adjustment is simple to do and inexpensive!.

best of luck to you bud

9. Try a quick bleed of the master cylinder. Remove the reservoir cap and you'll see the bleed valve. It's a 6mm hex screw head. Undo it, pull the lever and lock it off. Release the lever and repeat a couple of times.

10. legend @nelly thanks mate sorry about thurs will call with new date (doggo wont fit in rucksack)

• Like Like x 1
  11. now sorted with the expert help of @Expat Jack following the sage like wisdom of @nelly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information