1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Quick Release Fuel Filler Cap.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DoctorW, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Hi. My qr cap appears to be getting a little clunky / sticky, especially the initial release and then the final twist to close. Any ideas if i can do anything to "arrest" / improve this, or is a new one likely to be required? If the latter any suggestions where to buy from and are these as simple to change over as unscrew the 4 (or 6) little bolts that atleast apear to be all that's holding it in place.
    Cheers any advice,
    Andrew.

2. Clean it and lube the o-ring?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers - yep forgot to ask about that. Tiny bit of general purpose grease around the seal?

4. Light oil should do.

5. 3 in 1 style? Apols, technical no nothing me. I know where the fuel goes, but ironically even that is slightly more tricky than usual lol

6. Yes, other light oils are available.
    If you can get the O-Ring off without damaging it you can give the groove a clean out too. But don't damage or snag the o-ring: so how about you leave it in place and just oil it and see how you go o_O

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good plan. Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oil based grease might attack the rubber. Silicone grease is best. Small tubes on ebay or plumbers merchants.

9. The seals should be nitrile though...

10. Thx for info here - i had put literally the tiiniest amount of grease on the seal before having the common to ask those who know (impulsive twit). Fingers crossed no harm done (i hope)!!! - will wipe it over in a minute to remove and get some silicon grease or light oil from plumb centre or toolstation tomorrow.

11. The grease will be ok too :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Is this one of your chat-up lines?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Apols to labour the point, as i know i have been told exactly what to use!! Have wiped off for the moment, but out of interest the grease i used is carlube lm2 lithium based multi-purpose. Still deffo not to be used? Cheers again,
    Andrew.

14. No one said that? It would be fine too :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Apols, misread re when said grease be ok - assumed had meant the silicon grease advised by oldrider.
    Thx again.

16. Edit - advised by streetfighter.

17. I thought oldrider hadn't commented, he'll be along in a day or two :)

18. Lol. Hopefully all ok - I sprayed a smidgen of wd40 on the centre "button /lever" left for a minute, then dried it all up and then a tiny bit of grease around the seal. After a hour or two, all much smoother; easier initial "release" when un-doing and a nice positive final closure (almost popping back into place). Fingers crossed all ok. Cheers, Andrew.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information