1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749r Carbon Fairings.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Chris B, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Hi y'all,

I have a 2006 749r, I have just purchased an original unmarked set of 2004 carbon fairings, both sides and upper. My bike has the large Termignoli exhaust, 57mm, and when the original polymer ones were on everything fitted but very close to the exhaust.

However the carbon ones due to no flex are not so good, everything fits up front and down below and the dzus fasteners on the frame. But the RH rear lower mount is up against the exhaust.

I am picking this is normal due to the exhaust being bigger...the only way around this I can see, is to get a piece of stock 25-30mm Dia and put up to to exhaust and with a heavy hammer create a small indentation into the sxhaust to create some clearance. I am not a fan of disassembling the section as pressing in a press...as a slow force moment can cause tube distortion, rather than a shock which can cause in indentation.

Your thoughts before trying this...will practice on some stainless tube here of same size first.

Also how close can carbon fairings be to an exhaust vs polymer for heat issues.

Christine.

2. IMG_4897.PNG Mine were the same. No need to bash your exhaust. Haven't you got a rubber bung that fits inside a bracket on the bottom of the exhaust? My fairings sit against that. Been this close for a good few years now, no issues.

#2 Shaun, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Shaun,
    That is half my problem the previous owner, and goodness knows why has removed the stainless brackets that were on the exhaust in that area.

So on your bike does the fairing fit up hard against the rubber spacer as when mine is fitted and touching the exhaust due to no stainless mount or spacer, it takes quite a bit to pull out...just seems a lot without causing cracking in other places. Is this common for carbon.

4. Yes

5. I don't have any rubber spacer..as no bracket on exhaust for it.

6. Take a picture and let's see what type of exhaust you have. Is it what's known as the 'banana' type?

7. I believe the early round pipe 57mm system does not have the rubber spacer.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information