1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749r - Poor Running - Advice Sought From The Collective

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by AirCon, Apr 18, 2017.

1. First run out on the 749r was very disappointing.
    After curing a sudden stopping problem (traced to a corroded Neutral connection) I've now got a 'orrible cutting to one cylinder problem.

When opening up it frequently switches to one cylinder only, then cuts back.
    My first stops are going to be side stand switch (given the corrosion on the Neutral connector history), then new fuel and spark plugs.

Any common problems out there?

And I need to loose around 6 stone (my doctor says 9...which would put me at my pre-rugby weight at 13/14 years old). My back was killing, mainly 'cause I was trying to lift the weight off my poor / accident damaged wrists.

2. why would a sidestand switch affect it only under load?
    yip, go with the plugs and fuel filter

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Check the horizontal stick coil. They are prone to water ingress and corrosion cos of where they are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. What if it thought the side stand was down?
    It's very common on the Mutley....weak spring and a badly tarmac'ed road.

5. I too doubt it's the sidestand connection (or spring) unless the thing is actually going down when you're riding in which case :eek:
    Swap the V and H plugs and ensure the coil packs are pushed in firmly and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder.
    If it doesn't it's not the plugs.
    I'd take the tank and airbox lid off and watch the injectors spray when the engine is running, open the throttle and see if they increase their spray volume similarly, if not you may have a dodgy injector electrical connection or a dirty injector.

6. Didn't this just have a service at Snell's?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yes, but they were unable to do a road test as it had no road fairing?
    Oil, filter and belts only, as it was serviced 300 (a couple of years) miles before.
    To be fair that also meant no indicators, but that was it.

8. Silly question....How can I tell which cylinder is failing in order to see if it changes?
    It doesn't happy when still only when "making progress" .... and this thing makes progress

9. these things don't really think as such AC. on/off. yes/no. thats about it. what makes me think it's the HT side is the under load part. it takes more effort to push the voltage to jump the gap when the cylinder is pressurized (as you know). under load the pressure rises. the lecky is just finding the easiest way to earth.
    the injectors don't know if the engine is under load, but low fuel pressure can cause something similar but not quite.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. power wash queen. pull the coils. take a look, you will see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. My similar spec 749R did the same a couple of years ago. It was traced to be corrosion in the main loom plug that was basically interfering with the Ecu signals and making it run like shite.

12. Has the front coil or plug had a chance to get wet??

As everybody says, this has to be your prime suspect for dropping on to one cylinder.

13. Thanks everyone.
    No presure wash queen here. I have my butler wash all my vehicles by hand before I let him collect brush wood for the household fires. I then send him out to thrash the peasants for the rent to run my British Ducati harem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. did you buy it new? just pull the frekin coils out of it. :Hilarious:. then plugs. you can often see tracking lines down the plug if its water ingress along with the white powder, or burning to pins or plug. not that you need me to tell you how to test electrics.

• Like Like x 1
  15. had not dissimilar issues with mine last year: cutting out on one cylinder under load. Turned out to be a leaky head cover gasket on the vertical cylinder - was leaking Motul's finest into the plug well and shorting things out.

More at No More Garage Queen - see if your symptoms are similar.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information