1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749s Second Gen Suspension Setup - Opinions

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by Dubs, May 28, 2020.

1. how do....

been looking at getting the 749s a bit more tweaked for the road and odd track day when i shed a few kgs...:triumph:

The stock suspension is pretty good as is - properly set up, but i need more adjustment. Stock rear spring has no more adjustment for me.

it really is handling superbly despite bridgestones which i will soon remedy with pirelli, nut looking for more range re feel of the bike.

The ktech setup below for the front is what i will do, piston kit & springs, but its the rear of the bike im more asking about :bucktooth:

My suspension guru who is an ohlins rep and very well known in road racing circles etc will source a rear spring for me and service the stock showa, OR else i stump for a new shock altogether - which is what i will think id like to do.

Aside from Nitron on the rear , is Maxton comparable re value & bang for buck, they've no prices so you have to ask on their site, which i may do. ( im not into ohlins, they leak too much and a buit common, and hard to find for a 749 anyway :D:D:laughing: )

thanks

FRONT: Im going ktech springs with Ktech piston kit
    [​IMG]

REAR: Looking at Nitron NTR2 rear shock
    ( The r3 more suited to race and higher temps, so i dont need it )

[​IMG]

OR the MAXTON R10

[​IMG]

2. Can you get a k tech for the rear to match the front?

Nitron are great value for money though I've got an r3 on my gsxr track bike

3. I had Ktech SSK kit in my 2010 Daytona 675 forks and they made a decent difference, I’ve heard good things about Nitron also. If the standard one is rebuildable though it’s worth seeing what can be done with it by the likes of MCT. They modified the oil flow galleries in the shock on my 899 and it was awesome afterwards and noticed no issues at cadwell on my track day. I have no doubt that where the nitron and the like benefit massively is how they handle the heat and their consistency on track, but again only worth it if you are doing a fair few of them

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I will be going with a Maxton rebuild for both front and rear, I contacted them a while ago about options and then sent me this data sheet. I am fairly convinced the prices would go risen by now.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Odly enough ktech dont do the rear, but ive rode set up bikes with mixed manufacturers, so its ok, but the kteck front are awesome, so happy enough with that.

cheers, yeah i think for the extra 200 quid or so over a rebuild, its worth going the extr for the shick,. I will get the showa serviced anyway, oil etc, and keep it in the garage for when i loose some decent weight!!LOL :upyeah:

cheers again, i email Maxton late last night so i will let you know. I asked them to price front piston kit with springs and a rear shick comparable to the Nitron R2 ;)

cheers all :cool::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. DECISION MADE :idea:

Going with ktech front springs and piston kit & keep original showa, service it an replace the spring.

re the rear, going to stick with the current showa , as it apparently may have more range than the nitron r2, plus the internals and how the showa works may also be better, and i will change the spring at the same time, as the shock will have a full service. shoudl have parts from UK in the nexct 2 weeks or so with post and then fitted etc. Looking forward to it.

the bike is running great, and its handling superbly as is, so will dial it in a lot more :bucktooth:

btw, Re MAXTON, the GP 10 is what they recommend for the rear at 780.00 stg & they suggested a rocker bar like on the 749r which is 180 stg appx.

#7 Dubs, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. From what I remember when I had a Showa rear shock in mine. It was very limited on rebound damping and I couldn’t dial enough rebound in without closing the needle completely. I dyno’d the Showa against an ohlins I’d bought and found the ohlins had twice the rebound damping forces. I’ll try to find the graphs and post them up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kit ordered.

Ktech piston kit & new rear spring & going to service the showa shock.

Hopefully over the next week or 2 be sorted. Will post back.

9. Any updates on the suspension service?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry, been flat out in work.

Yeah, vast improvement, more plush , rear a little harder but overall worth doing.

The ktech piston kit made a big difference, front - he changed the springs but wouldn't tell me what ones(!?).

The Showa shock on the "s" ive been told are worth servicing, as its pretty decent against spending a lot of a high end ohlins. Again this is a little harder.

I done 999 (exactly) miles in August last Yr, aside from no padding in seat, on various roads and sh!t surfaces i couldnt fault it.

20210122_135443.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information