1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750monster Exhaust Seized - And It Was All Going So Well..

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Fudoshin, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Finally stopped avoiding the crankcase change on my 750 Monster and started stripping it ready for engine removal - all going nicely (i.e not chocolate bolts) until I came to the exhaust on the front cylinder.... One stud nut rounded, the other was so seized that the stud came out of the head and the collets needed prying out and came out in bits.

The exhaust pipe however is still seized in the head - not even wiggling in the slightest...

I've cleared out the remaining bits of collet, used penetrating oil, tried some semi gentle tapping, heated the head whilst keeping the pipe cool and still nothing.....

Anyone got any other suggestions? I might not have heated it for long enough so if anyone can suggest how long to heat for then that would be handy.

Only option I can come up with is to cut it off and remove once the engine is out/head is off....

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

JP

IMG_3959.jpg

E8B6B989-F8FF-4C42-B4D1-BA50259D4AD7.jpeg

2. Can’t you just leave it attached till you have the head on the bench? It’s not like the rear header which goes through the swing arm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. True....

4. Freeze spray the pipe. Sometimes works! Lot more movement in the pipe than the head.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks, worth a try...

6. You will almost certainly need some serious heat to get the pipe out of the head. It's position on the bike, basically right behind the front wheel, is possibly the worst place that exhaust pipe could be.
    If you are not too bothered about damaging/replacing the exhaust system I'd consider cutting the pipe off around 6" from the head. Bearing in mind the various attempts you've already tried it obviously isn't inclined to come off easily.
    Once cut off I'd carefully heat the remaining pipe up to a cheery red heat if necessary, (taking care not to get the touch flame near the alloy head !!) & spray penetrating fluid in & let it soak for a while. It might be necessary to repeat this a few times, but sooner or later it will have to give in & come out.
    Failing that a Dremel might be the next best option to cut out the pipe. If you cut the exhaust off as close to the head as possible you should be able to get a Dremel with a small cutting disc inside the exhast pipe & cut it from the inside, out. Once almost cut through it might hopefully "give" enough to allow extraction.

When you come to refitting the new parts use something like Neverseeze to lube the studs, nuts, exhaust/collets, etc. Hopefully any future disassembly will be much easier.

7. Awesome - thanks for this- really appreciate your time and input!
    JP

Do Not Sell My Personal Information