1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Cafe Racer. First time project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by FlatLine, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hello to all

Hope you are interested in this project.

It's the first one I have attempted

Bought a 92, J plate 750ss in late 2011 and been tinkering since

As it's my first project I want to keep everything fairly simple, no engine tuning apart from filter and such and the look will not be fancy

So here are some photos:

Just starting to strip the plastic off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent the afternoon stripping the ducati to allow me to start work on the frame and wheels

Managed to get my daughter to help!

[​IMG]

Now all I have is a box of bits :wtf: Not much there

[​IMG]

The engine has been stripped of paint and sprayed

The next thing will be to change the cambelt

[​IMG]

Next: The powdercoaters

The frame just out of the oven and still warm

I have not done any grinding and cutting of the frame yet. The powdercoating costs £40 and I wanted to see what it would look like

I will cut it about and get it done again as it's cheap enough

[​IMG]

The swingarm as well though I am not sure if it will stay red!

[​IMG]

Just spent a couple of days putting the bike together to get a look at what it will look like

Started by getting the engine on the blocks and frame attached

[​IMG]

Attached to the scaffold bar that is fitted across the office/workshop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if the upside down forks look strange.........hmmm

Maybe it's the gold that looks wrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be looking for a single 7" headlight soon so a bracket is in order

Will have to make a start on the wiring loom as well

Using a monster loom, don't know what to do with it but I am sure I can work it out!!

All the bolts and stuff have been cleaned up before deciding the colour to use

Held up by one strap

[​IMG]

The seat unit I made myself, the build can be found in my other thread, here: 750ss Cafe Racer seat unit build

Will keep you posted

Link to the album for more pictures: ImageShack Album - 55 images

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice work, I keep thinking of putting a seat like that on my ST2 and getting some Radical Ducati parts for it.

3. that would look good

4. Did you have to cut the grab rail mounting points away to fit the seat?

And what are the chances of you knocking up some more seats?

I only ask 'coss you're doing more or less exactly what I have in mind for next winter!

Cheers

Grunt

5. Yep, the rear has to go, so will be welding another piece on

With regards to the seat.....thats a maybe, wouldn't be a finished unit, just the shell ready to work on

And of course its designed for the 750ss frames, so I assume the 900 and 600 are the same

6. Nice work there mate, you must have the patience of a saint all that prep work, Last night I made my very first ever mould.... a rather intricate F1 replica clutch cover, have just this minute seperated the mould from the base plate that I made it on...easy peasy... getting the original clutch cover out may not be so smooth :confused: ....but it is fun...found the endless wax and PVA separating liquid application a bit tedious...but I know that preparation is always the key to success!

ooops just realised that I meant to post this in your thread about the seat build...never mind its all related! :D

7. I can imagine. Luckily I don't need to use the wax as I am making the seat and not a mold to make more from

However, that's an option

8. Now you have made the seat could you make a mold of it in the same way to produce more of them ie one for me for my project :)

9. Hello MotoJohn

As I mentioned in the previous post, its possible I would make another seat for someone to finish, however, making a mold would be a very long process with the end result being expensive

People are already selling cafe racer seats, and having gone through the process of making the mold they still sell them at about £150 or so

For that reason I wont be making a mold

Let me know if you would be interested in one to finish yourself

Regards

10. no worries , i see your point i just thought it may be a money spinner for you as thats what i would do , how much would you charge for a unfinished seat ?

11. i have a 900ss that i got a a basket case the frame is done and the engine is polished i have been thinking about doing a cafe racer with it as mine came with all after market bodywork as it was used as a display bike for powerbronze , but the bike was in a spil and the last owner striped it but never finished it and the faring is in poor condition as is the seat so im looking to improve it looks

12. thanks for that i will:upyeah:

13. Update August 2012

After a bit of a lay off have started on the monster wiring loom

p8222972.jpg

Now know which bits connect where so the next bit will be to cannibalise the 750ss loom for the connectors

Converting the front to twin disc set up, more for the looks than performance

Got a pair of discs from an ST2 and a caliper from a Cagiva River plus a reservoir from a 900ss

Headlamp is painted black and I have made a bracket from tubing to match the frame

p4032134.jpg

Have shaved down the original seat foam to form a new one to fit the tail unit

A new tail unit has been build, slightly thinner to sit on top of the frame rather than hang over it

I have found a light for it

p8302977.jpg

Monster clocks fitted to temporary bracket

p7152698.jpg

More pictures in next thread

p4032134.jpg

p8222972.jpg

p8302977.jpg

p7152698.jpg

#15 FlatLine, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  14. Update2 August 2012

A few more pictures

p3242065.jpg

p3242073.jpg

Next job, after the wiring loom, or indeed at the same time, is to make brackets for all the electrical gubbins to go under the seat unit

Then I will need the number plate bracket

Will keep you posted

p3242065.jpg

p3242073.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. p7192718.jpg

Had a go a vinyl wrap, seems to work ok

p7192718.jpg

16. You haven't painted an ally swingarm, have you?...It certainly looks like it.

Didn't you know there is a penalty for doing that and that your bike will be impounded (permanently)?

AL

17. Oops! Powdercoated

18. Still doesn't excuse you..........That should have been stripped of the anodising and highly polished......besides, when you use the chain adjusters and tighten the axle, I bet they crack the coating which sticks to the moveable bits and gets pulled off....ready for water to creep under the remaining coating.

I had a lot of powder coating done on my Guzzi and that happened at every fixing point......luckily it was only on the 'tin' stuff, though.

You will be punished........:wink:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information