1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Front Brakes

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Dr.Mark, Aug 9, 2018.

1. I have just bought a 2000 750SS with 15k miles on the clock. Suddenly the front brake level travel increased and now can be pulled back to the twist grip. I see there is a bleed nipple on the master cylinder so what order do I bleed the front brakes in?

2. Master cylinder, followed by caliper furthest away from M/C then the caliper nearest M/C. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. many thanks. I'll try it tomorrow.
    Mark

4. It could be the plunger seal gone if it happened suddenly. You may get a rebuild kit for it. Try bleeding first though.

5. Seems Ducati/Brembo dont do repair kits for master cylinders. Any ideas as to other availability? A new M/C is iro£200.
    Mark

6. KTM might be your best friend here if you can establish the diameter of the seal. I understand due to a perceived threat of litigation if liability is established, refurbish kits for safety critical components, ie brake master cylinder, are not available from Ducati and due to a commercial agreement, Brembo will not supply kits for Ducati components to the general public. Not sure but I think Bike Torque Racing offer a refurbishment service. Oddly they do brake m/c on site but send the clutch m/c back to Brembo. Andy

7. Mark, as Andy says KTM used the same Brembo kit as Ducati for many of the older bikes. I got a rebuild kit for my clutch and rear brake easy enough for the coffin style master from AMS4KTM.CO.UK. The coffin style brake master does not have a rebuild kit so I had to replace with a new one. As for the later remote reservoir masters I am not sure. Contact the above KTM parts supplier and they will help. I definitely think it's the master that's gone if it suddenly went as opposed to a gradual decline in braking performance. Ian

8. That's really helpful. I have a KTMLC640 in the collection so will check that out as well.
    My 750SS does have the seperate resevoir. Does anybody know what the piston diameter is ? 13 or 16??
    Mark

9. No sorry, but it may be clear from marks on the casting?

10. 16mm is the cylinder size. Having vacuum bled the front brakes the system is maintaining it's correct function, with a really solid feel to the lever and excellent stopping power. I'm still wondering what caused the origininal issue other than duff fluid.
    Anyway thanks to all for help & advice.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information