1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Ie, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Mark9, Dec 7, 2018.

1. I'm thinking of getting a 750ss ie to keep the miles off my other bikes, are they any good?, obviously im not expecting it to go as well as my 900ss carby but what about that single disc?, non adjustable forks?, only 5 gears?, has anyone owned one, what did you think of it?, thanks Mark.

2. I enjoyed mine you need to take it's limitations into consideration a 600cc Japanese four will outperform it all day

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mine's a great commuter, it's mild mannered enough for poor weather and handles well in the dry.

As long as you maintain it well, the front single-disc is enough to get it stopped but bear in mind, the pads at the front will wear quicker than expected (this has caught me out).

I would recommend going up two or three teeth on the rear sprocket, to help with acceleration and with hitting the sweet-spot for revs around town. Plus an Oberon slave cylinder for the clutch, unless you crack walnuts with your bare hands.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Had mine for 7 years never let me down,loved it, changed the oil and filter regularly.suspension was quite hard but never bothered me.Made a good change from many years of Japanese bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Should have said mine was fully faired and had double discs.

6. Posh git.

: o D

7. cracking little things well worth getting one
    think they are still relatively cheap to buy
    must get mine sorted and back on the road
    loads of info on here now about the ie
    some where there is my thread about my 750

8. Thanks for the replies, I was most concerned about the single disc, looks awful lonely out there on it’s tod, my Scrambler only has one disc of course but a much more modern unit, good point about quicker pad wear, I hadn’t even considered that, ok I will have a look at it based on the above comments, guess I’ll be constantly going for 6th gear though!, I had been thinking of a 600/4 until I rode a CBF600 last week, completely and utterly devoid of character, the bike too!

9. Aye, the IL4 600s are no fun on the road (not tried one on a track). The SV650 was less boring but compared to my 750sie, dull as dishwater.

As long as you are realistic about the performance and not expecting to go much above 120mph, you'll not be disappointed.

10. Probably only ever done 120 on my 900 once, or twice maybe... maybe 3 times!, tbh I rarely go above 80, I don’t hang about getting there though :), I did 150+ on my blade once, just to see what it felt like, didn’t like it :-/

• Like Like x 3
  11. Never owned one myself but did take one for a test ride before I bought my 900 carby .The only thing I would point out, if you don't already know, is that the riding position is dramatically different to the carby, much more head down, arse up. It was enough to put me off until I tried the older bike which is much more sports tourer in terms of riding position in comparison (don't bend so easily these days!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I’m going to look at it tomorrow so I’ll try the riding position , I’ve got the bars as high as poss on my 900 carby and it’s comfortable for me so maybe the 750 won’t be, the blade had to go because my wrists couldn’t take it anymore, getting old is rubbish!, 57 on Tuesday, if I’d known I was going to live this long idve taken better care of myself!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The 750sie is less an extreme riding position than a 998 or 999. I find it easy to fit on compared to my 999S. It is not sports-tourer comfy though, by any stretch.

14. I hadn't gone more than a 100yds on my test ride before IdI made my mind up that I couldn't live with the neck ache caused by craning up just to see where I was going. Can't imagine what a 916 is like!

Still buy a 916 just to look at though ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Had a look at it, it’s not bad, riding position is more extreme than 900ss but I could live with it, forks are very firm I agree with above, he took the word of the previous owner that the belts had been done, there’s no receipt so i have to assume they need doing, so that’s £150, there’s a stamp at 15k in the service book but no proof that valve clearances have been done, starts immediately on the button though, but valves is an expensive job (or a PIA if I do it myself), but the biggest thing bothering me is he’s had it less than a year and only done 100 miles or so, that does bother me, he said he doesn’t get time to ride it but how can anyone have that little time :) equates to about 2hrs riding time!, I think I’ll give it a miss or maybe just make a low offer.
    PS Didn’t ride it but finding neutral was very difficult after dropping it into 1st to try the clutch bite.

16. If it was me, I would assume those jobs weren't done if no proof and haggle accordingly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information