1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Ie - Lightening The Clutch Pull

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by p murphy, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Continuing to sort out the tatty 750ss ie dark bought before christmas -
    now back on the road with a Senna paint scheme and most servicable
    parts refreshed - brakes, belts, oil, forks and shock fully serviced, steering head
    bearings, etc
    Just fitted a replacement clutch lever/master cylinder as the old
    one was very tired and I could not source a service kit from Brembo - they
    seem to have started to supply service kits for slightly more recent ducatis
    but not the ie range.

Lovely clutch action now but quite fierce like many other ducs. Question ;
    I think I read on the forum here of removing a couple of the (opposite) clutch springs
    as well as the usual replacement of the slave cylinder, if you have removed the springs
    have there been any issues with subsequent clutch slip or fade ?

Will post up some bin ( and bike) pictures once we see the sun again !

Patrick

2. I tried taking two opposing springs out of the clutch on my SL. No issues at all - clutch still worked fine. Ended up putting them back though, as I found the action was too light for me - just didn't have the right feel.
    Try it and see

3. Or get an Oberon or similar. I have one on my Carby and they are great

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oberon works brilliantly on my 750ie

5. Thanks everyone

will go down oberon route first - noticable difference on my 749s
    but not much difference on my Monster 1100 evo - we will see how the 750ss ie responds.

Patrick

6. Patrick, would you perhaps be able to swap it from bike to bike to test? The Carby slave was pretty bad and they changed the design for later bikes. My ST4S and 900 IE have a much better action than the standard Carby. Before you fork out for another slave maybe try the Oberon you have. The only issue I could potentially see would be the little slug spacer that sits in the slave for the SS as this is only required for some bikes and I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove once it's in.

7. Hello,
    I've been meaning to look at this for a bit. I had a quick measure of the spring and think the rate is about 16 N/mm. I though I would easily find the spring in the "Lee Springs" catalogue but could not, I thought it was another Ducati special. I found it on the Farnell web site and it looks like Century springs makes them.

IMG_20180317_135518336.jpg

6 springs gives 96 N/mm. If you were going to take 2 out that would leave you with 64 N/mm, divide by 6 and that would be 10.66 N/mm. So I would say the part no. MM-51 would do or with a slightly tighter fit on the end caps (I think you would get them on) the 11504 @ 14 N/mm could be an option. Not sure why the P/n 133 from Entexstock and the 11504 - same dimensions have different rates, possible material.
    Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Gaz

#7 gaz92, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  8. Thanks for all the extra info. - unfortunately the oberons were sold on with
    the other bikes so it will be a raid on the bank of piggy !

Spring info very helpful - will revisit if the oberon solution is inadequate.

Patrick

9. Patrick,
    No problem, others have brought this issue up in the past and have been meaning to look into it, it might help someone else.
    Cheers Gaz

Do Not Sell My Personal Information