1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Ie Sprag Clutch Part Query

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by p murphy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Greetings All !

Tech query to see if anyone has had same parts issue

Just got around to replacing the sprag clutch as Louigi Moto advised might be on way out. Was working ok but can see quite worn on disassembly.

(Starter motor sprocket connects to intermediate gear which connects to driven gear, needle bearing sits in driven gear)

Ordered the "one way" needle bearing and the "electric starter driven gear", in which the needle bearing sits .... original part no 173.1.012.3A.

In ordering it seemed Ducati had changed both part numbers. I have given the incorrect gear back to supplier with box so cannot advise the revised part number.

Both arrived quickly and needle bearing is same as original and fits on driven gear BUT starter driven gear is slightly different size (bigger), so does not fit into intermediate gear !!!

Box had correct part no for bike and age ( 2001 750sport Dark) , according to supplier.
    Supplier contacted Ducati Uk spares expert but could not advise - Ducati UK now enquiring at Bologna.

Seems like wrong part in right box OR revised part that (presumably) needs a new size intermediate gear as well ?

If you have had similar experience and know Ducati changed the part/s at some stage after 2001 would appreciate comments.

Thanks

Patrick

2. I hope someone totally savvy with your conundrum can help solve it - Craig at Moto Rapido might know what's happened, never failed me yet. I see that year 2000 lists part as:- 173.1.004.1A is it possible this is "earlier" and your size or is this purely a number that was superseded by 173.1.012.3A?

3. Thanks - will investigate with Craig
    The part no I quoted was per the copy parts catalogue I have.
    At the suppliers, they looked it up independently by ref to my reg and vin - they said the
    number had changed but I'm not sure what it had changed to !
    No-one seems very sure as to why any part numbers are changed ..........unless, off course the part is different.

4. if the size is different, the part number must be also - see if you the "004" pt number is relevant as said because if superseded, and it is the same part, then this number would not be listed.

5. Thanks
    Will report on progress !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prob too late but the current part number quoted as superseding 17310123A (which is noted as a 71 tooth version) is listed as 173Z0011A which is widely used from MY01 for many bikes using that era of engine. There are also 3 other current part numbers listed for similar gears around that time 17310041A, 173Z0021A and 173Z0031A which I think have a different number of teeth, Chris' suggestion (17310041A) looks favourite and its actually a MY00 bike

7. Al the above sounds quite possible. That era of bikes are quite often registered later than they were made. It's always worth ordering off the VIN number with your dealer rather than online parts lists.

8. Thanks all

Very useful info; Lesson 1 no such thing as standard part at the time of manufacture - despite dealer ordering replacement from my vin details not reg details!

Current situation is ; part that came off bike is 70 teeth

Replacement part from Ducati is 71 teeth

Dealer in consultation with Ducati - and I hope I will end up with like for like replacement part OR additional intermediate gear and starter motor sprocket to put it all back together with 71 tooth replacement supplied !!!

There has been talk of non OEM parts fitted in the past but it seems pretty unlikely to me as the sprag clutch is not your usual peripheral item. But, never say never.

Lesson 2 assume nothing

10. Hopefully, final update to sprag clutch saga

After much communication between dealer and Ducati Uk and Italy, factory adamant replacement part supplied was "correct" 'tho no final judgement on why it was different to part that came off the bike. I suspect original sprag clutch gears were from an earlier model on the basis they look identical to the Haynes Manual pictures ( which do show job from an earlier version of the engine).

To fit the replacement part I ended up ordering a new intermediate gear and starter motor pinion/ sprocket as well. The starter motor part was identical but the intermediate gear was ( obviously) different to accommodate the increased no of teeth on the driven gear. The "new" intermediate gear also had more holes cut in it.

On reassembly had a final annoying blip because the original washer that goes between the intermediate gear and the circlip that holds it in the shaft now slightly obstructed the teeth on the driven gear ...... needed to source a washer/ shim washer 2mm less overall width to avoid issues.

Two days fleabay delay but now back together again correctly - I hope ! Certainly starts with less noise and I trust it will all hold together - the alternator shaft nut was quite some torque setting ....

Thanks for all replies and assistance

Do Not Sell My Personal Information