1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Ticking And Oil Light

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Duke600, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Hello all,

Are there any known issues with the '93 bottom ends?

I've a mysterious ticking sound which isn't matched to the revs. When at low revs the oil light is on, when revs are raised, it goes out. This is coupled with an abysmal 95mph top speed!
    Valve clearances are bang on, there's no exhaust smoke and plugs are a nice colour.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ben

2. Oil galley plug coming out and is well out; is my guess, Ben.

A loss of oil pressure would accompany it, if almost right out. Top speed down because it would be overheating.

3. Balls. Full strip and rebuild it'll be then. Bugger.
    Or a perfect excuse for a 900 conversion lol.

I know it won't be certain until stripped, but is it usually a case of a new plug?

4. Drop the oil, take the oil stalrainer out and put a small mirror in. You can see the oil galley plug from underneath the crank. I bought a small camera which I plug into my phone. Its got lights on the end too. This was purchased for making these kinds of inspections easier. About a fiver on eBay from China.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. It is only my guess, but that is where I would look before anything else. There are apparently upgraded plugs which don't come out once in.

6. I rebuilt my engine last year and the plug I got from Ducati for 10gbp was aluminium. Put threadlock on and use a centre punch on the edge a few times to deform it into the hole. It'll not come out

7. I would not say that the symptoms you describe are typical of a gallery plug backing out. Before pulling it apart I would do a compression test and measure the oil pressure on a gauge. However, if it is the gallery plug, and it has worn to the point that it is bleeding oil pressure, the amount of swarf on the oil screen would be major, so I would then drop the oil and pull the screen out and go from there.

8. Not necessarily - the plug is aluminium and the shavings are usually very thin and light.

They can react very similarly to excess 3 Bond which has squeezed into various areas and eventually come off, settling in the bottom of the sump rather than sticking to the gauze screen.

#8 Ghost Rider, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information