1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'81 900sd Darmah - Electrics

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by wotbus@, May 3, 2019.

1. Hi everyone again. Problem getting my Darmah to start.
    Brief history.
    I sold it to a friend in 1999 and bought it back again just before Christmas. Previous owner showed it mainly with his other bikes, rode it a few times initially (2k miles in 20yrs), tried to start it regularly but claims it was always a bad starter. I never had problems with it before so maybe it was just knack or perhaps something deteriorating which has finally died.
    I have had it turning over and starting on 2 or 3 occasions recently but now it refuses to turn the engine over. The only thing that happens is the Click from the solenoid.
    When I owned it before I had the frame and other bits powder coated so I have been all over checking for good Earths.
    OK, my work so far:
    Battery renewed and always fully charged.
    Starter Motor brushes/commutator cleaned/checked - all appears normal.
    Removed chain from Starter Motor to Engine - starter motor turns every time starter button pressed and will run normally if the button is held pressed for a few seconds.
    Re-connected chain from Starter Motor to Engine - nothing, just Solenoid click.
    Solenoid replaced by previous owner (starter problems..?), had the original checked out and marked "S". I have interchanged both and the problem remains.
    I have removed both Spark Plugs to see if the Starter Motor is too weak to turn over the engine against compression. The first time I tried this test a couple of weeks ago, it did. I replaced one plug at that time and it fired up and ran on one. I replaced the other plug and back to the problem - just solenoid operating.
    I know Duke's have a bad reputation for electrics but in the 16yrs I owned it before never a problem. As mentioned before, I personalised it by colour change and ensured good earth connections where applicable. Although sometimes it had a mind of it's own when starting it always fired up after a few curses flooding both carbs until petrol everywhere presented a serious fire risk...but that's my Duke, but it never let me down to the point of refusing to turn over even with jump leads from my car !
    Apologies this is a bit long winded but I am in France with nobody to speak English to and right now I want my Mummy.
    Does a Starter Motor get weaker and weaker and finally die - I would have thought it either went or didn't !
    Anyone any thoughts, please :)

2. upload_2019-5-3_16-2-58.jpeg
    That's my girl but Spring is here and the knee sliders remain new....drat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Désolé, je parle seulement français :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. salut Exige. Allez, ma femme traduire pour moi. C'est pas le langue seulement, pas des amis motard. je pleur, merde merde merde :oops:

5. I had to get Google to translate, now stop wasting my time :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Where in France are you?

7. York :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 50 Manche

9. Windings in the starter motor are probably breaking down meaning imminent full failure - I don't know how easy it will be to find a replacement?

10. Thanks Harry, I am suspicious of the starter as when it turns it seems a bit half-hearted - sort of "winds up" albeit quickly rather than "bursts into life".
    I am aware mags/dynamo's can be re-wound but starter motors ?

11. Cheers Exige...

12. In theory they can but finding somewhere to do it and then the cost of a 'special' job, unless you know someone who works in a winding shop?

13. OK Harry, thanks.

14. Alas quite far from myself ...

Starters can definitely be rewound, had a beetle one done many, many moons ago.
    Grant

15. Thanks Grant. Hopefully I can find a replacement 2nd hand before it comes to that. There is a place in Oz which sells exchange re-conditioned SM's but the freight both ways may kill that off.

16. It's not expensive - try Parcel Force through www.postagesupermarket.com

17. Thanks copain ;)
    "Ducati Paddy" has been extremely helpful and is sending armature and stator for me to try as the fault is not really 100% identified, really decent guy and highly recommended.
    I am grateful for the links should it come to that.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information