1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 Hyperstrada 821 Clutch Modification

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Robarano, Oct 14, 2018.

1. The switch like clutch on the 821 Hyperstrada and Hypermotard is a well know issue, although it seems not everyone is affected. During my recent Italian jaunt, pulling away, especially uphill was a real lottery and I ended up stalling more than once. :mad:

Has anybody done the 939 clutch mod? and is it worth doing?

It looks like I need this kit to put a dished plate into the clutch pack.

Kit

Write up

2. putting a dished plate into a ducati clutch dry or wet has been a time honoured fix for snatch:scream: put two in if you like.....

3. Yeah, I've done that on 2 x 1098's now. My 1098R has 2 dished plates in as it was grabby and I have 3 or 4 spare dished plates in the garage somewhere. This wet clutch looks to be a different set up though Andy and these thinner plates sit inside the 1st friction ring. I've never seen it before and if you compare the parts diagram of the 821 and 939, they were added for the 939. Trouble is that Ducati want to sell you the full clutch pack.

2013.jpg

2015.jpg

4. yeh see what your saying....

are the steel plates the same size as before? wonder if you could achieve it old style?

5. I don't know, because you have to take the side casing off and drop the oil etc. :mad: Bloody progress! :laughing:

6. You may get away with just leaning the bike well to the left to save dropping the oil but dry clutches do have their advantages...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Have alook on Ducati hyperstrada forum

8. I have, it's in my original post. :upyeah:

9. Well, I've looked into this and it looks like this eBay seller is machining OEM friction plates to increase the inside diameter and allow it to accept the spring modification. :worried: He also claims that the steel in the kit is nitrided for longevity. :thinkingface: Then it's eBay and from the USA, what could go wrong? o_O

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.42.16.png

I might just buy the 939 clutch from the Dealer for peace of mind. :( I get a decent discount, :upyeah:

10. Please keep us updated cos the clutch on my 2015 821 really fucks me off.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. You’ve got the updated one in yours

12. Yeah I know, well it’s shit! :laughing: Sometimes it just lurches as the graduation has gone. It’s unknown when it will do it but it’s always when it’s cold. It does it at least once every morning. Other changes it’s ok. Also crunches going into 6th sometimes. Feels like clutch is worn out, pile of crap. I’ve bought a new cable I’m going to fit to see if makes any difference. But honestly, it puts me off the bike.

13. Got the Hyper 939 clutch yesterday. Maybe a job for over the winter. You can see one of the friction plates has an larger internal diameter to fit the added rings into. Hopefully this will cure the switch like nature of the original clutch. :upyeah:

IMG_7547.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. Put the clutch in today. Snow on the ground, so not had a chance to give it a try yet. Fingers crossed. :)

IMG_7756.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hi, I have the same issue on my 2014 SP to a point I can't stand riding it through town! I've been reading into this and already read the link you attached although they say to fit the later (2015 model) clutch kit?

I have some questions..

1) Did it work? If so how well?
    2) Can you confirm what parts you needed from Ducati.. just the kit and the gasket sealant?
    3) Can you confirm the part number of the kit per chance?
    4) How much did it all cost?

Cheers!! :cool:

16. Hi guys. I purchased the anti judder kit for my 2014 strada. Went to the dealers to get oil and filter and ended up buying a 2018 939sp. I have the anti judder kit brand new for sale. I'm uk based so if anyone is interested let me know. As stated it's a standard friction plate machined, a spacer, a bevelled spring and a nitride steel treated plate. I paid £83 inc shipping and taxes. If anyone wants it. I'll do it £70 posted within the UK

Screenshot_20191213-112930_eBay.jpg

17. 1) Worked amazingly well. It was like a different bike.
    2) I didn't buy the kit online, I bought the 939 clutch pack from my local dealer. List is about £230 but I got a hefty discount and got it for approx £150. You also need the three bond sealant which is about £20 a tube.
    3) Part 19020312A
    4) See no.2. You also need a clutch holding tool

IMG_8651.JPG

18. :upyeah:pm'd

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taken it apart, just waiting for the clutch kit now. No way of getting that belt cover off though without removing the front pipe - must be more room on the Hyperstrada? I've just removed the bolts so I can move it over slightly.

The 32mm came off with the impact gun easily, hoping can somehow get it back on up to torque without buying the locking tool which would be another 60 quid down the pan :weary_face:

When re-assembling, does the arrow on the basket cover have to point in the same direction that it was facing before it was all removed? Can't see why the arrow is relevant :confused:

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

20. So, all back together now. Just waiting for the seal bond to go off before I fill back up with oil. Will leave it over night to be sure.

Few points worth noting for anyone else looking to do this;

I had to remove my rear brake lever and the cam belt cover to remove the gearbox cover. When I say remove the cam belt cover, I couldn't take it out fully as the header pipe / radiator was in the way but removed all Allen bolts to slide it a few mm's to the right out the way.

You will only be able to fit the plates into the pack off the bike so you have to remove the 32mm nut. I was hoping to get around this but it was actually easy enough to remove. I have a lithium battery powered 200nm impact gun and it worked fine cracking it off. Putting it back on again is fine and torquing up to 190nm worked fine - you don't need the clutch locking tool, just take off the paddock stand and onto side stand, into 6th gear and step on rear brake whilst pushing down on the torque wrench. This sounds complicated but it is easy with just one person.

When the pack is off the bike (picture below), make sure you compress it down and tighten up your little nuts to seep the springs compressed.

IMG_4315.JPG

When slotting the pack into the clutch basket, you obviously need to get the friction plate grooves all lined up to slide into the basket but make sure the last machined out friction plate is off set to the other basket slot (see below).

IMG_4318.JPG

Once this is in it's plain sailing, you can now refit the 32mm nut and re-torque (described above).

Then refit larger springs and carrier with the 4x Allen nuts and tighten in sequence up to 5nm.

IMG_4322.JPG

Clean up the edges of the gearbox casing and apply the three bond.

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG

Fit and torque up the 10 Allen bolts to 14nm.

Let bond go off overnight and re-fill with oil.

As said, I haven't yet re-filled with oil as waiting for the bond to go off.

Hoping it all works ok when I fire her up :D

IMG_4333.JPG

#20 willyduke, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information