1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 As A Track Bike?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DaveM, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Hi all

I’m considering an 848 as a track bike.
    Am I mad? Are they reliable enough?

I’m happy to maintain a bike, but don’t want to miss track time because of issues when I’ve paid out for a track day…

anyone got experience (good or bad)

thanks

2. What are your aspirations ? The 848 will be an admirable bike for shorter circuits where the power of the bigger bikes is less of an advantage but will be tedious on tracks with long straights where you will be left behind by the bigger bikes. The TDP groups seem to mean little nowadays so you can expect a mixed bag of abilities on a mixed bag of bikes in any group. The 848 has known weaknesses including the gearbox which doesn’t respond well to a QS, especially if it’s not set up perfectly. The 899, the 959 and the latest Panigale V2 are all more modern and in their own way, better. Or just do what many do, get a cheap, bullet proof JIL4 and thrash the nuts of it. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I can vouch for the gearbox on the 848 not being great with a poorly set up quickshifter, the other thing to consider from the 848 will be the effort required to get the chassis dialled in, which isn’t a problem but it’s set up in standard form can be a little compromised often overloading the front, potentially slow steering.

mid it were me, for track I’d get a 899, it’s reviver, has a QS, has some electronics and is a little easier to move around and get comfortable on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. what about the 749 and youd be left with a healthy contingency and mods budget

• Like Like x 1
  5. Never had any gearbox problems with my ex-Trioptions 848. Not as quick as the 899 or as nimble as the 748, but perfectly capable of hustling bigger machines on circuits like Le Mans, Donington & Silverstone.

The stand-out is how relatively cheap they are.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_184a.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. FYI it took quite a while before the tri=options guys were beating 848 times on 899 bikes...

Great bikes, if well set up they handle lovely and don't need tyres at the rate of larger bikes. Slipper clutch essential. QS not so and, IMHO, wouldn't fit one as those gearboxes don't like them...clutchless is fine anyway IME

KTECH or ohlins rear, front springs & valving and get the centre of gravity up. IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0955.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Thanks all.
    I’m just looking for something different from everyone else’s JIL4. Love Ducatis and think I’ll enjoy thrashing a 140hp bike more than nursing a 180hp one around a circuit.
    Comments about QS noted, although didn’t the SE Corse come with one as standard?
    Haven’t heard any horror stories about reliability yet, so that’s good news…

8. Kin ell bladders that bike a moped under you, just saying like. o_O Running number 7 too. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I used a 1098 on track for a while which I enjoyed. It wasn't as easy as the more modern bikes as the gearbox was lethargic and it turned quite slowly but the stomp out of the bends was addictive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You’ll have as much fun as anyone else with an 848. Most fun track bike I had was a 999R. Similar power wise. I think there’s still a few knocking about from the Tri options series?? Or am I getting confused with other models??

The one I’m thinking about had upgraded con rods and possibly transmission. Get one of those if you can….

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just to show the wheel still can get up ;)
    394B84FC-7143-40DC-B22A-DA258765A016.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  12. Cadwell

Quick edit for predictive smartie pants predictive typing nonsense.:mad::mad:

#12 DucatiScud, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yep

14. Only other thing…. I’m 6’1” and 15st (210 lbs). Will I fit on it???

15. Yes

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  16. Not everyone can carry on after his air bag has gone off.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. I am 1.92m (taller) & 86kgs (lighter)....more room than any other Duc I race.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Whoa, whoa fuken whoa there! Wtf is 1.92m??? Eh?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Taller & lighter.... all you need to know Mary.

20. Right. 6'3" and a bit and 86kg. I'm not gonna argue with you :punch::dizzy:

:)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information