1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Brakes A Bit Crap....

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Skye Hook, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Just moved from a lovely 749s to a mint 2011 848 EVO, better engine,better handling,better finish, looks debatable, the 749 is such a beauty. However, barrelling round a corner last night and a merc was turning right into my path, sphincter and brakes both applied with little decent result, sure, they slow the bike down but not nearly as quickly as you might like.
    I did bleed them through and got rid of some bubbles before this incident, as it did pop up before, but they are not what i hoped for. My Multi is way better at stopping for instance. So is there a simple-ish fix for this ? sintered pads? new hoses? what do you reckon. IMG_4289.jpg

2. Braided hoses and something like a Brembo SC sintered pad (other makes available, people always have their favourite). I would also upgrade to something like Motul 660 brake fluid (again other makes available) which still works at a higher temperature than normal DOT3 or 4. Might be a good idea to check the calipers for cleanliness whilst you are at it. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. you have m4 monoblocs, they should be mega brakes. (and i think same as the multi iirc) i would look at the pads. if they are ebc HH , bin them. they are wooden and scarily shit in my experience

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. good call Android and Funkatronic,looks like a strip down and check first and then spend some money.Thank you.

5. Pads, lines fluid.

6. Dont forget to bleed at the master cylinder too

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. i really dont want to hear or see that an 848 evo is that much better than a 749s given i have just bought one

8. Ha! well its a few extra pennies too,but i have to say i loved the 749,such a beauty,but some gremlins to sort out on mine.

9. I know it's more than, and must be combined with checking the factors above, but a Brembo RCS 19 conversion and you'll be squishing your sack on the tank. :upyeah:

10. I have those brakes on my 1098R.
    As above, with an RCS master cylinder and Performance Friction 95 compound pads it’s all the braking I need.

#10 RickyX, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Could be worth giving the discs a good clean too. If the previous owner has been trackday riding and using dual carbon pads for instance,
    they leave a deposit on the disc which while assisting further carbon pad usage, will play havoc with street pads.

• Like Like x 1
  12. are the oem hoses not braided?

13. cleaned the Brakes and checked the pads,standard brembo's, a little greasy.bled all the lines and the master cylinder and its better now. I will get sintered pads,Motul 660 and some braided lines i reckon.
    BUT...checking tyres i noticed the rear shock moves from side to side ,like 30 degrees or more,that isn't right surely????

14. like this.
    looking further online i find this is 'normal'..wow.

#14 Skye Hook, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  15. Just looks bad 'cos you're waggling the shock reservoir not just rotating the shock body....

16. The shock has spherical bearings at upper/lower attachments so can move around that axis.

17. The 848 Evo has epic brakes, the issue is old dirty fluid or glazed or worn out pads for sure. I’ve had 2 848’s and they had amazing brakes as long as they were bled and looked after

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Braided lines are standard so spend elsewhere.

19. They are on my 1098.

20. Bit late but have you checked the actual calipers pistons are functioning correctly and not sticking?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information