1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Cuts Out

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Jase1, May 2, 2017.

1. evening all. Have an annoying issue at the minute. Odd time bike would be hard to start and cut out when idling but now it's doing it whilst riding generally when accelerating harder. If you cruise it seems ok albeit a little hesitant. I've replaced relay for fuel pump after reading other threads. The engine light comes on when it dies and won't bump start even though you're doing a decent speed. If you stop it turns out and coughs back into life. It definitely feels like fuel starvation. There's no error messages on screen. Could it be fuel pump? TPS? Cheers

2. Have you replaced the fuel filter lately?
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  3. Can't say I have for around 6000 miles but would that bring the engine light on?

4. I don't know about the light coming on but all the other symptoms you describe indicate fuel starvation and the filter would be my first port of call, I would also check the fuel pipes in the tank for any damage like splits while I was it there.
    Steve

5. Yeah it feels like fuel but cuts out so abruptly that's why I hoped it was just the relay cutting pump off.

6. Any errors showing on the dash?

7. No nothing just engine light.

8. ECU should store any errors so you can read. @chrisw is good with that stuff.

I'd start with a new fuel filter, only £20 odd.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. You get the engine light and no error? Even when toggling the switch?

11. What do you mean? How can you go through error messages? Do you mean like when you're setting clock menu and battery voltage etc?

12. yup.
    when the engine light comes on push the toggle switch up then up then up. Hopefully it'll show an error code.
    If not, check both relays.
    Fuses.
    Fuel filter
    Flapper/flapper cables

13. Light goes out when I re start it. Will error still be there?
    I've changed pump relay which is far one I understand. Other is fans isn't it?
    Haven't checked fuses as everything else seems to work.
    Will looo into fuel filter and pump.
    Has full system so no flapper etc.

14. Check for the error message when the error/engine light is on

15. Wil
    Will do. Is there a list of error codes?

16. In a recent conversation with a clever guy I know, about engine fault finding, he said if it runs rough and sputters to a halt, it's likely to be fuel but if it dies instantly, it's likely to be electrical.
    Made sense to me...

17. Yeah it feels instant but fuel injection can be a little different. I'll take it out tomorrow and make it do it and see if I can get a code.

18. List in manual or look on line.
    Could also be fuel pump or pump connector/wires.

19. Well after replacing fuel pump relay other night, it still cut out afterwards! I went out tonight and couldn't get it to fault at all Will just have to keep an eye on it! Frustrating....

20. Intermittent faults are crap!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information