1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Engine Management Light And Stuttering At 8k *updated With Video

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavsta, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Hoping someone might be able to help... before winter the bike was running fine. At Snetterton the other week less so. At a standstill or under load at a very specific number of revs (I think 8k but could be a smidge before) the engine light pings on and the engine stutters or misfires. Might be running on one cylinder. It won't rev past the problem (haven't tried this a lot as fear something expensive is already afoot!) As soon as revs drop below, engine light goes off and it runs fine again.

Over winter the belts and valve clearances were done and spark plugs changed. It's been back to the place that did that, they checked it over and found a coil error. Changed out coil packs, which got rid of coil error but made no difference to the engine light/stutter issue. They were a bit stumped and as it has a Bazzaz (and translogic quikshifter) they weren't keen on getting into the electrics.

I'd done the reg/rec upgrade over the winter so yesterday I took that off and put the old one back in, just to check. That's made no difference either. This morning I've checked all the fuses and pulled/cleaned the healtech servo eliminator but still no joy. Starts fine runs fine but at 8k ping there's the annoying orange light and the stutter kicks in. I have relays on order (having read a couple of other threads similar to this) but after that I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to check. Don't fancy disconnecting the Bazzaz as I think that's a lot of wires to be messing with for my limited skills.

Thoughts / advice / Italian bike ownership sympathy all welcome!

Cheers, Pav

2. Do you have standard system? Sounds like flapper sticking. Used to happen on one of my old 848’s quite a lot.

3. that must be irritating, would have said front cylinder coil related but you have replaced. all you can do is check all ignition-related connectors and loom runs for corrosion/continuity.

4. Change the relays on the side of the battery box

5. Thanks guys. It’s a full system. Relays are coming so fingers crossed that’s it. Otherwise does seem like wiring or similar. Just seems weird it’s at such a specific amount of revs.

6. Update for the interested and a video in case it sparks any ideas. Replacing relays and plugs made no difference but have noticed it's only happening when revs are increased slowly - doesn't happen when blipped. Thinking it could be an injector? Booked in at Moto Rapido next week.

7. Why not reflash the ECU to the full system mapping rather than relying on piggyback systems.

8. Yeah fair point. Bazzaz does have a degree of traction control (which does work) and I don’t think there’s anyone local to me who do reflash and dyno setup. I’m not convinced the Bazzaz is the problem.

If anyone can recommend a place local to Tonbridge/Maidstone that would be v useful to know.. cheers.

9. With some cables from Lonelec (not Bluetooth), an Android tablet and TuneECU you can do it yourself. The 848 full system map is in the TuneECU library.

10. for the interested.. swapping in another standard ecu fixed the problem

• Like Like x 2
  11. Just wanted to say after reading this , ive had similar reluctance to rev/stalling issues twice in the past and both times its been the fuel filter in the tank , usually after the bikes stood over winter , might be worth a try.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information