1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Evo Corse Se - Is It A Future Classic?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by viffviff99, Jun 16, 2017.

1. I'm very new to the world Ducati's having been coverted from Jap bikes (particularly Honda and Suzuki) and am looking to buy my first Ducati. I really like the new Supersport, but saw an 848 EVO Corse SE for sale which looked lovely. I've not ridden one yet, but my question to those who know far more than I will ever know about Ducati is the following: do you think that the 848 EVO Corse SE could become a collectable Ducati? The reason I ask, is the next bike I buy is likely to be my last (owing to age), I will keep and cherish it, and would love to buy a modern Ducati that will become a future classic. Many thanks

2. I hope not. I sold mine 3 years ago :cold_sweat:

Ps When you ride one, seeing as you're coming from Jap bikes, it'll take you three weeks of solid riding to get used to it. The ergonomics are a tad more extreme in the head down, arse up stakes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I clicked with my 848 post R6 after only a few hours, it just felt so much more comfortable, the power delivery gave me an instant grin......never looked back..
    Best thing you can do is go ride one.
    My only one gripe and its not a biggy was miles per tank, everything else was great, the ride, the sound, how it looks :upyeah:

4. hope so. wonder how far they will drop before prices stabilize. not that fussed tbh. it's a keeper anyhoo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. No
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just my two pence worth...

You can probably answer your own question as well as most of us on here to be honest. None of us can predict what the future will hold for the marque... However, if you buying with the desire to make a 'quick buck' then your probably looking in the wrong place.

However you mention that this will probably be your last bike, which I presume means that this will be a keeper for you... Taking that view of your situation, buying a new supersport is guaranteed to lose you a fair chunk of wonga through depreciation. Looking at the 848/1098/1198 era of bikes is where I would be if I were you (in fact I did the exact same thing two years ago)...

The 1098 redefined what a superbike was and re-established Ducati where they always want to be following a few years of taking there eye off the ball and concentrating on expanding their model range, this landed the company in a not too pretty position which then resulted in a large shake up within the company, the model range being reduced and recovery plan put in place. The 1098 was developed and brought to market as part of the recovery plan for Ducati and was seen as imperative to redefine the meaning of 'Superbike' whist restoring the Italian beauty Ducati were known for during the 916 era 'hay days'... Needless to say, the 1098 did exactly that and was a success for the company. The 848 is obviously the little brother of this era and the 1198 evolved from the 1098 and had all of the niggles and issues suffered by the 1098 sorted, is marginally lighter if I remember correctly and also has practicallu the same engine and tune as the 1098R...

Caveat: Information provided above learnt from 'The Superbike Redefined' book...

As mentioned, I went through a similar process as you when looking in to buying my first Ducati. New vs Used etc... which eventually resulted in me purchasing the 1198. Whether these bikes will ever become 'classic' status is anyone's guess but the deprciation curve looks to be flattening out from what I've seen and they certainly have the desirability factor amongs the general public, and I have only seen 3 other 1198's in the flesh since getting mine... There appear to be a fair few more 1098's around and as would be expected, much more 848's appear at bike nights...

Long and short of it is, only you can decide what is right for you. Older will not cost you as much in depreciation but servicing costs may be a higher for you... Whatever you end up taking the plunge on, I'm sure you'll not be disappointed with either ;)

Hope that helps...

• Like Like x 1
  7. The 1098R is the one to have from that era but the boat has been missed for finding a decent low priced one as they're shooting up in value. I think the 1098S and the 1198S are now the best value ones to buy with the desirable extras included such as ohlins and light weight wheels. These are creeping up in value as the 1098R becomes more untouchable. I don't think the 848 will be a classic because as good as it is it's the smaller bike and less desirable and the Corse SE is essentially an 848 in fancy clothes. Right I'll get my coat!.......Taxi!!!o_O

8. thanks for the input guys. It definitely helps to hear your views. I rode a nice 848 today. Loved the engine, gearbox, ride - it was a special bike, but just couldn't get on with the ergonomics... Even for a sportsbike I found it a bit much. If only I were 20 years younger! Are the ergos in the 1198 and 1098 any better - or can they be made better?

9. Exactly the same mate. Not much between the 3 except for capacity...
    Best mods I did for comfort on my 848 were fitting a superpole seat. This adds about an inch to seat height but stops you sliding about in the seat and crushing your nuts.
    Helibars also helped a little but at the end of the day, they are sports bikes and will never be really comfy. The more you ride them the better they get.
    If you do go for one, suspension setup has to be top of the list for things to sort.

Ian

10. Streetfighter?

11. Don't go anywhere near a 748/9*6 if you think the 848 riding position is extreme!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'll second the comment re: Superpole seat, made the world of difference to the riding experience once fitted and for me improved the co.fort of the bike. I initially found the 1198 spacious but uncomfortable, a couple of months down the line once my muscles had gotten used to it though, it has turned out to be very comfortable for me doing anything up to a couple of hours continuous riding.

I also think there is something true in the comments above re: 848's they will always be seen as the little brother and therefor often lays within the shadow of the two bigger variants.

Not ridden an 848 myself so couldn't comment on the ergonomic differences but finding one to test ride would provide you with an answer for that. Do remember that the 1098 & 1198 are absolute animals though ;)

13. Another +1 for the Superpole seat - stops you sliding around so much and gives you a bit more leg room. Kills my neck though, unless I keep the speed up a bit...

Edit - and as Ben says, the 1198 is a bit of a beast!

14. It depends on your body size and shape... this "748 is a torture rack" line might be true for some and not for others. If you're long in the body and short in the limbs it's not actually uncomfortable, and if you sort your own posture out so that you're supporting with your core then again it relieves the shoulders / neck / back.

15. thanks again. I'm not that tall (5' 8") so the reach to the bars is on the long side. The helibars seem to get mixed feedback - any thoughts here on whether they make a significant difference?

16. I'm a standard sized short-arse type (10 stone, 5ft7)..I have a 916,749 and 1098, none of them are uncomfortable for me. I was just warning the OP that the 916 is a bit more "compact" than an 848/1098.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prices seem to have crept up a little already for the corse se compared to when I was in the market for an 848 3 years ago. Don't know if they get the asking price or not but I don't think you would lose much if you kept one a while

18. I doubt the 848 se corse is that special, a 999R or 2005 999S would be tasty and are special. 749R even more special and very desirable but less road focussed.

19. Everything has. You wonder how many sell for that tho....

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information