1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Evo Cutting Out And Won’t Run

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Abmills, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Hi guys, I’m new here and new to Ducati ownership, I haven’t posted before so mY apologies in advance for coming in with such a big ask in my first post.

I’ve had my 848 for a year now, covered 1300 miles, loved every minute and it’s never missed a beat, until last Friday. I popped out for a “quick blast” that turned into a 3.5 hour recovery wait.
    The bike was behaving perfectly, until I came off a short duel carriageway. Whilst the bike was coming down the revs it made a couple of big bangs, like the ignition was switched on and off, lighting unburnt fuel. Then a couple of hundred feet down the road it just cut out, the orange engine light came on. It wouldn’t start, it didn't seem to fire at all, just turning over and both pipes smelt of fuel. So I took the side panel off and had a fiddle with the wiring, I have also recently fitted a quick shifter so didn’t know if maybe it was an issue there. Then out the blue it started. So went on my way again, got another 200 yards then dead again, orange light. This time it didn’t disappear so I checked the code in the computer, 11.2 (apparently the vertical coil?). Got it recovered. Next day I got a new coil and put 2 new plugs in, started on the button, then took it out to go for a test ride and the same thing happened again after about 2 mins on the bike, light came on, it died, started once, went 20 yards and then dead with no lights or codes this time but won’t start or fire, smells of fuel.
    So it feels like I may have an ignition issue somewhere and my question is can any one shine any light from their 848 experience please? I’m very grateful in advance, the days are getting shorter and I don’t fancy pushing the bike any further!
    Thank you, Adam

2. How many miles have you done since fitting the quick shifter? Could fitting it have caused this? I’d try disconnecting it first, put all the wiring back as it was and go for a test ride.

3. Don’t forget to introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too

4. I did think that, I fitted it about 2 months ago, covered about 300 miles with it on. I think I’ll remove it this weekend, see what happens and update.

5. I certainly will do :)

6. Spend 2 quid on a new relay

7. Fuel pump relay?

8. Thread moved

9. Fuel pump/coils/injectors relay

10. Thanks, will give this a go

11. After the relays, I would check the regulator/rectifier (regrec).
    A quick test is to disconnect both terminals of the regrec (to the battery and to the alternator), fully charge the battery with an external charger, and see how the bike goes during a few minutes drive (until the battery is too low).
    I had similar symptoms in the past (caused by the regrec), and I am having slightly different symptoms now (waiting for a new regrec: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1198-engine-cutting-out-randomly.80667/ ).

PS: once you find the root cause, please report back!!

12. Ok, so the issue is now sorted and could have been avoided! It wasn’t the relays or anything else standard in the end. On the quickshift controller there is a very small earth wire that had been connected to the earth terminal on the battery. Now when I went to remove the battery cover to check the relays I saw that the wire had been pinched in the battery cradle, which hadn’t broken completely yet. Explaining the fact that when it briefly started again it must have just had a slight contact. So I soldered a new section in, shrink wrapped it for protection and re routed it past anything obvious that would damage it. The bike now runs perfectly!
    So if you have done, or are installing a quickshifter, protect that earth cable.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information