1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 848 Fairing Support - Does Not Fit 1098r

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by RickyX, Mar 5, 2016.

1. In order to preserve my original fairing brace on my R, I bought a cheap repaired fairing brace off eBay, cleaned it up and painted it black.

Went to fit it the other day and.....it doesn't fit!
    The mounting holes on the 848 bracket do not engage with the 1098R lugs on the frame.
    I checked the casting part numbers and they are both the same number.
    Physical comparison twixt both brackets reveals that the R bracket is a shorter distance between mount holes and aft edge of casting.
    After a bit of head scratching, I reckon the reason for this is because the R has a larger diameter headstock to accommodate the eccentric for changing the head angle.
    Ducati therefore machine off the back part of the casting for the R to maintain the geometry for mounting the fairings.

See below comparative pics - 848 is the black one, R is the gold one.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I am planning to cut off the extra 10mm on the black one and then all should line up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. If they are both the same casting then why would you want to preserve one rather then the other? My 848 one is gold in colour.

3. You need one of these :D. Andy

image.jpeg

4. The black one has been repaired. I plan to use the R on the track so will fit the black repaired one as a precautionary measure, keeping the pristine gold one with all the other standard road kit in the garage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have one of those already.

Since I am fitting track bodywork but I also have a dip/main projector light and indicators, I want to have all the original wiring in place. This is easier with an original type bracket which I have modified to suit my wiring and stuff.

6. Ahh, I see. The guy I bought my R from had a loom made up to replace all the lighting wiring but keep the buttons that scroll the computer. Andy

7. only just stumbled on this R - although confusing it's common Ducati practice - the airbox body on a carb SS has the same part number moulded into it as the airbox as fitted to a carb Monster of a similar year but the two 'extremities' on left and right of airbox are removed with a scalpel or similar when fitted to a Monster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Are you very bored to go looking this far back?? I forgot I even did that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I was searching for some fairing info on Ogle and it came up! - how is your water rad incidentally? - there are two common areas where it can fail, I need to write it up properly at sometime but currently too lazy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information