1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Infomation

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Mongoose, Sep 20, 2017.

1. So I'm thinking of moving up to a 848 from my current 749. I'm after some information on what to look out for.
    Do most owners run the belts for 3 year intervals?
    Any tyre recommendations or suspension set up tips?
    What are the 'must do (sensibly) mods' ?

What I can make out there are three different models. 848 base,848 evo and 848 evo corse. There seems to be quite a jump up in price from evo to evo corse but no much of a jump from base to evo..
    I understand that the front brakes are a massive improvement on the later models but why? I've had a quick look around on the web and the ones I've seen all have wet clutches all bar one which has a dry clutch. This was a 2010 model white so I assume it was the base model with the naff front brakes. Was this a optional extra to have a dry clutch on these models?
    Sorry for all the what must seem like daft questions and I suppose I could google search everything I need to know but what better than to put these questions out to current owners?
    Oh and if I buy a white one ( which I'm hopping to do ) will I be subject to hours of abuse as we all know that all Ducati's should be red right?!?!

2. Evo and evolution corse used 1198 front brakes they really are good. The 848 with a dry clutch could have been an old 848 challenge bike. Evo corse came with traction control too. My personal opinion is i always buy a Base model and tune to how I want it but I'm a serial modifier and can't leave my bikes alone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Don't knock white ones

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Evo has a bit more power. Brakes became mono block from cast, you know because they are gold not silver, late corse se has ali tank I think plus traction. Otherwise think they are the same. Also may be that the evo onward has a steering damper fixing

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dry clutch is a conversion. It’s not standard. Quite a few did it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Whites alright :upyeah:
    My first Ducati was 848 base model. I put slash cut Termis' on which look and sound the business, I put a steering damper on also.
    I did take her on track and had an absolute blast. The performance of the brakes never came into question
    I'd have another one for sure.
    If I had to pick one negative point it would be the fuel range/economy. Belt changes and valve clearance checking never phased me, part and parcel of being privileged to own and ride a piece of art :upyeah:
    Good luck with the search

• Like Like x 1
  7. We have two in the family and love them - agree fuel range can be a pain, I have never had an issue with brakes, the little lady had hers converted to a dry slipper clutch ( original Ducati ) which is a absolute pleasure to ride.
    Have to say super corsa's fitted to both - The bike will out handle anything I am capable of doing with it and whilst I'm no Rossi I'm not Miss daisy either.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I have had all 3
    848 base model (no riding aids)
    848 evo (no riding aids)
    848 evo SE corse 2013 edition (aluminium tank) traction control & quick shifter fitted as standard)
    All bloody awesome
    Had corsa's, then bridgestones battlax 021 and also metzlers M7rr
    All worked well M7rr best life span.
    Tank range pretty much the same as all Ducati's I got avg 120 miles from full up to fuel light coming on, but goes up n down depending on how hard you ride it :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. 120 miles that's good. I can just squeeze 85 out of my 1198 now it's been mapped.

10. Had early and an evo 848, evo massed and both did 90-100 miles of the light. On track, 50.

11. My 1198 is about the same as that my 1199 once mapped I would count myself lucky if I saw 80 miles before light coming on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1*98 do seem juicer anyway. I could thrash my 848 and still get 80, whereas people I was riding with would be using all low and mid range and get 80

I put it down to open the throttle at low revs a lot rather than mid-upper range on the 848. I also reckon (uneducated and layman opinion) this is what destroys multi/1*98 big ends

13. Whilst the brakes might be an improvement on the evo, the base 848 still has incredibly good brembo's as standard which are massively better than the majority of other bikes!!

I

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Why?

15. To make it a real Ducati ;)

(848 was my first Ducati. Loved it)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. For racing quicker to change if they get a problem .

17. Hi, I have a 2009. Been messed about a few times on eBay so just gave up. It's SORN at present. Just about to change oil and drain tank as not riding it at moment.

I was aiming for big service and belts every 3 years (was aiming for Spring 2018 to use fresh belts all next year so 2.5 years this time then 3 years thereafter) and do minor oil and filters services myself inbetween every 4K. I did all the same thought process you're doing now and reached the conclusion this was best approach. I got my bike in summer 2014 with 525 whole miles on the clock! Got Ducati John to give it a thorough going over in 2015 and that's where it'll go next for valve service.

I've used sportsmarts, qualifiers and most recently T30s. The profile on the cheap qualifiers was the best but T30's have been best for my purposes.

Neoprene seat and tank pads to stop sliding about. I've always fancied the Zard exhausts but the stock ones are right enough. Starter cable kit to save sprag clutch.

Haven't done headlights but if I end up keeping it long term I'll fit a HID kit. My bicycle lights are brighter than the 848's.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information