1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Rear Hub, Chain And Sprocket Spruce Up.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Bonkers the Dog, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Hi folks,

The title says it all. Her lower back end is a bit bland and scruffy so I would like to "bling it up" as the yoots say; it's current state is spoiling the over all look of the machine which is lovely.

Nothing garish or OTT, beautiful and subtle is the way I feel.

However, I don't have a scooby what to do, what to buy, where to get it and what to pay so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures would be a great help if you have them.

P8160003.JPG

2. Best bling for your "back-end" is Renthal gold anodised sprocket with something like a DID gold coloured chain, (in my opinion :upyeah::grinning:).
    If you are going to be changing any of these items, rear sprocket, front sprocket, chain then "normal" practice is to change ALL three items together, (unless they are already quite new, such as on racing/track bikes where they are changed to suit the track). Chains stretch & the sprocket teeth wear & can become hooked. Fitting a new chain to worn sprockets will shorten all their lives.

There are other good makes or sprockets, such as JT, but personally I prefer the bling look of Renthals !

Extra bling can be had in the form of anodised nuts for your rear sprocket or even titanium nuts !

As with sprockets, there are many makes of chain such as DID, EK & Tsubaki to name a few. All good as far as I know, but a bit like bike tyres, we all have our favourits.

You just need to decide if you want to stick with your bike's "standard" gearing, then order your sprockets & chain.You can measure your existing chain quite easily, if you count the side-plates on one side of your chain, then double that, that is the length of chain you need. Obviously if you intend to increase the size of either sprocket you might need to look for a slightly longer chain, maybe up to a couple of links longer/shorter.

Ebay, B & C Express are two sources.
    Obviously Ebay you pays your money & takes your chance.
    B & C Express are importers/distributors for a few makes I think. So products from them will be genuine, albeit they may not be the cheapest. They do however, sell on Ebay.

Engine sprockets will be in the range of £15, rear sprockets around £30-40 & chains £70-120, all prices are "ish" !!

These people seem to be reasonably cheapish whenever I've been looking, https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/

#2 CAT3, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  3. Here's a spare Renthal engine sprocket I have ready for my 750SS,
    DSCN3687.JPG
    Spare RK chain I have for the same bike,
    DSCN3688.JPG
    Spare Renthal rear sprocket for my Triumph,
    DSCN3689.JPG
    And, the rear sprocket & anodised nut on my 750SS, which will soon be replaced for the same, (some O-rings on the chain have failed) with anodised nuts.
    DSCN3691.JPG

Pictures are just for a guide, your 848 parts would look very similar if you use Renthal sprockets. The DID version of that chain would be a deeper gold in colour.

#3 CAT3, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. They can't be 'anodised' nuts as that would mean they're Aluminium! Plated steel or Titanium more likely....

5. Renthal sprockets
    JT or Renthal carrier
    Gold chain

638E1CFD-11B2-4225-BD0C-6CE66A7155E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. You've never seen aluminium nuts?

7. Yes I have, but not used with steel studs without them having 3x more thread insertion!

8. They ARE aluminium nuts, anodised gold !

He has now !!:joy:

9. You're never too old to learn & see things you've never seen before !:joy:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Don't worry Keith_P, it bothers me that they wouldn't be strong enough too.
    But there appears to be lots of them about.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  11. In fairness using alloy nuts to hold my sprocket on did concern me somewhat at first, but they have been fitted for a good few years & over 8000 miles with no issues.

The only thing I didn't do was use the normal Ducati tightening torque for these alloy nuts, I used a lower figure & a little low strength Loctite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Me too. But I'd spend that on a tour I don't have it to spend on a sprocket. I wish I did I'd be forever cleaning it though

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. noice! But for 600 notes I'd expect the bosses daughter to come and install it for me whilst wearing skin tight latex catsuit and take regular breaks to ensure my Beluga Caviar and Dom Perignon were still cooled and within reach!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The ally nuts are roll tapped and you don't need a thread insert, they torque to the correct spec too, i had them on my previous bike. So yes you do get ally nuts.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information