1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 848 Shock Advice 1098s

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Roadtrip, May 8, 2018.

1. My 848 has 1098s Ohlins forks and shock and was fitted with them from new by WM snelll (they did around six bikes like this).

I am looking at getting the shock set to my weight (just over 14 stone with gear on) for road use not track, I've been reading on here about the spring rate being a bit on the hard side which is what i find on mine, so been on the phone to FTR Suspension in Essex today and found them very help full with there advice.

There suggestion was ride over and let them see/set up what is there already and go from there, they also mention that if the spring is changed i should maybe consider getting the shock rebuild/gassed whilst its off the bike (they did ask age and miles on the bike)

The bike is a 2010 and on 8200 miles I've owned the bike 4 years from 3485 miles and it has the standard 1098s spring,
    I would like to know general opinion, if i change the spring is it about right age/mile to get it rebuilt and is it possible the swingarm need to be unbolted a moved to get the shock out.

2. I agree with potentially putting a slightly softer shock spring on the bike, my first 848 was impossible to get any sag in the rear at all, the shock just sat at the top of the stroke. The Ohlins unit is better for sure but still a bit stiff especially if all your use is road.

4 years is definitely overdue an oil change in my opinion but it’s somethinv that often gets overlooked

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. IIRC the 1098 ohlins had a lighter spring than the std 848 unit, so a little softer unless it has been changed.

If you are southern based (Snells customer) you could try @PGP Paul Goodhall who was lead mechanic there fir years until doing his own thing, just outside Southampton. Really knows his stuff not juts on Ducatis but suspension, and does rebuilds etc.

Getting shock out is a PITA though, and its a lot easier with the pipes removed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Yep, just to add to bradders point, there is a Lambda/O2 sensor in the exhaust on the EVO that stops you dropping the swingarm down very far when you have taken the wheel off, which makes the job pretty tight. With an Abba stand, and the wheel off and that sensor out it's not such a bad job but it's fiddly lining up holes to undo things etc.

Not a job you want to do twice put it that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The 1098s shock came with a very soft spring and way too much preload as standard, making the rear very harsh. I weigh 10st and JHP fitted a STIFFER spring with less preload for me. The rear was much better after this. Can you read the numbers on the spring? This will tell you the rate and there are tables on the inter-web that will tell you the required rate for your weight.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. As i finished work early today i phoned FTR and rode over there, found them super knowledgeable (well to me anyhow) on all things suspension, i mentioned i was green around the gills on the subject,

They pushed down on the back of the bike first and was surprised just how stiff it was, (they mentioned to get it to work properly at the setting it is i would need to be a few stone heavier) i sat on the bike and a few measurements where taken, it appears adjustment had been made from the previous owner but all they could do was take a bit of preload off and couldn't adjust the damping as the bottom eyelet has been turned around the wrong way.
    The plan is as the shock is coming out i will drop the bike off and have the shock rebuilt and a new spring 75NM put in which will replace the standard 1091-24-80 NM and then set it all up for me, when done they give you a card with all the measurement written down on for future reference,
    Thanks for the advise all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I dropped the bike off yesterday and will be looking forward to a smoother ride.

8. Picked the bike up so will get out over the weekend, if i can tear myself away from the Royal wedding on the tv :(
    This is the standard numbers of a 1098s spring.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. @razz you mentioned that JHP fitted a stiffer spring.
    What rate was it please?

10. OEM was 80. JHP fitted an 85.

This link is to a post by Dan Kyle on the 1098 suspension. It's an interesting read. There is a table of rider weight v recommended spring rate. I weigh 145lbs so with 15lbs for gear that makes 160lbs. According to his table I am right at the top limit for the OEM spring, so JHP's recommendation for an 85 spring tallies with Dan Kyles musings.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?8790-848-1098-Suspension

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I have an 85 on my TTX.

12. An up date,
    Had the new spring on for a month now and today was out for around 80 miles,

when i first rode it i could tell the difference straight away but needed to give it more riding and get used to the bike a bit as i know people often mention how great there bike was after they had it set up, i did used to think to myself does it really make that much difference, but wow with the new spring/set up and rebuilt shock it really is like a different bike to ride it will steer a lot smoother and hold its self to the curve/bend and gave me so much more confidence when riding as before it was like a plank when riding but as it was like that when i got it i suppose i just lived with it, all i can say is as mentioned before on the forum to everyone its the best money you can spend on your bike, it really is so much more fun :grinning: to ride especially with the new spring the bike actually turns and rides the bumps much better, why did i not do it much sooner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Interesting read , thank you for the update .
    I may speak with them to , I love my bike but it turns in very suddenly and I bounce about like a puppet .

Did you leave the bike with them or wait to have the bits fitted , may I ask the cost , appreciate if not .

Chris

14. Hi Chris
    Yes i rode it there first so they could have a look and adjust if possible which they did with the front end but the shock was to be honest not worth adjusting so booked it in and dropped the bike off as they have to drop the swing arm a bit to take the shock out then rebuild/new spring and re-gas etc then refit, so best to leave it with them, when i picked it up they set it up for you and give you a card with the settings wrote on it for future reference, i found them a very professional outfit and know there stuff, price was £250 all in,

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thank you for that , that's got to be next on my list , thought it would be far dearer than that to .

Trying to make it as user friendly as possible so I ride it more .

Rode my zx6r for the first time since buying the Ducati and woah it seemed so comfy

16. That's a very good price imo.
    It's not a quick job removing and replacing the rear shock-takes me about 8hrs, although I'm sure someone experienced can do it in much less. Still it's quite a bit of work, and I would have expected the labour cost alone to be more than you paid all in.
    You've done well!

17. They had done 848's before and first they tried removing the exhaust but it takes to long and now they take swing arm bolt out drop and move swing arm forward a few mm un hook chain and remove shock, ( thats what they told me) so i guess an hour on removing/refit shock.
    All parts and spring they had in stock so quick turn around, there workshop was stacked out with forks and shocks and was super clean :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. You can ride there and they will do a set up for £40, but check prices and times with them first, every time i went there they were doing just that.
    As you say it will make it much user friendly.

19. Never even thought of that method. Now I have heard about it it makes sense, far far quicker than all the work removing rear wheel, exhaust pipes, the fiddly exhaust valve which I have on my 848 Evo. Wriggling the lower pipe with the lambda sensor out of the way.
    Wish I knew that earlier as I have swapped the shock about 3 times!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information