1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TheAlfa1, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Hi guys and girls,
    The battery died on my 848 evo so I charged it up but now my bike won't start. The dash comes on as usual, no lights or messages that are out of the ordinary. I push the button and nothing..... not a sound.
    At first I thought it could be the imobilizer but as I understand I think there would be a error message on the dash.
    I've checked
    kickstand switch
    Starter button
    Kill switch
    Starter solinoid
    Starter motor.
    No faults with any of them and the bike does turn over if I short the starter solinoid to the battery.
    Am I missing something simple maybe?
    Oh and as I'm here my rear brake switch has given up, does anyone know a UK supplier apart from ducati themselves?

Thanks guys

Alfa

2. With my bike if the battery is not tip top then I may turn but will not start , if your battery has been totally dead it maybe fkd , new battery or jump start if poss

3. Yeah I was thinking along the same lines but I've since took the battery back off and it's holding its charge.

4. Since it will turn over when you short the solenoid terminals three battery must have sufficient charge to crank the engine.
    The starter is controlled by the ECU which should earth the solenoid coil when you hit the button. For the starter to operate certain conditions must be met -
    The bike is in neutral OR if in gear the clutch lever must be pulled in AND the side stand must be up. If the side stand is down AND a gear is selected the ECU will switch off the fuel pump relay as well preventing the starter operation.
    So you should check the operation of the side stand switch, clutch switch and neutral switch operation as they can all have an effect on the starter functioning.
    The ECU will turn off if the voltage drops below a certain value, something like 9.5V. So it is worth checking what the battery voltage is when you press the starter.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Just to be sure.Put it in gear,then back into neutral.Just in case.

6. Yeah I have.
    In gear, out of gear, clutch in and out, kickstand up and down.
    Still nothing

7. Take it the pump isn't priming either? Lift tank and check all connections, in case you moved when removing battery (if you did) and check fuel pump fuse. You say you have checked kill switch already and side stand, both often to blame

8. Yeah that's the thing the thing it's does fuel pump primes.
    I didnt look under the tank for conections as I figured it must be the ECU or solinoid connections both of which are on the left hand side.
    But I'll whip it off and have a goosey.
    Yeah I feel like I've checked the whole dam bike.

9. Does the motor spin over? If not, have you tried bypassing the side stand switch? They do collect some crap in there. IIRC just a paperclip and short it works.

10. The motor turns if I short the solinoid to the battery.
    I haven't tried that no, I'll give it a blast tomorrow
    Thanks friend

11. Try jumper leads just to rule out bad battery! Voltage readings by multimeter don't prove the battery's good!

Go back to the start of your problem! Bike ok,battery gets neglected and goes flat, problems! I'd start with the battery!
    Dead cell,no cold cranking power the battery can still give 12+volts reading on the multimeter!
    Good luck!

12. If he shorts the solenoid and it cranks, surely it's something between button press and battery that's failing not thx battery?

13. Emm! So he parks his bike and his battery goes flat and another problem arises? It's possible, but I'd start with a good battery and work from there,I know what your saying about shorting out the solenoid,but how many times have you done that with really good connections? Yes I've did it with jumper wires to get a "sound,movement " buts what's the harm in TRYING a good known power source before looking for other problems? Try cheapest first IMO!

• Like Like x 2
  14. If the battery was removed, have you knocked a tilt sensor? Not on my 848s, but on my gixer I did that and it took ages to find out. Another quick free check :)

15. Ok I could be talking shite here, but on the 1098 there is a master fuse I think its labelled Regulator fuse and on the 1098 its at the side of the battery just forward of it

As I recall if that's blown then you'll get nada and if there has been accidental earthing when removing the battery then that could be a possibility

As an easy thing to do I'd be checking all the other fuses too, but the 30A sounds to me like a poss and its separate from the fuse box

16. i'm not sure if this has been covered above but :- When you turn the key to 'ignition' the headlight comes on ok? then when you press the start button does the headlight go out and come back on when you stop pressing it? This is a vital test - will await your reply before answering. :upyeah:

17. Thanks everyone for all the good advise.
    I can rule out the battery as I hooked it up to my 999 and it started no problem.
    As for the master fuse 30amp that's been checked also.
    And the headlight stays on when I push the button.
    Not heard of a tilt sensor so I'll have a look and get back to you.
    Thanks again guys

18. doesn't that mean it is the battery then? When you jumped with 999 battery, headlight went out when churning starter?

19. I think he means he put the battery on his T9 and it started. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. thanks, "hooked it up to" got lost on me. Another one to try if you haven't already :- unplug the tiny plug on route to/next to the starter solenoid (have a quick check for corrosion/connector unhappiness) and plug back in again. Headlight staying on during starter button attempt shows it's definitely something halting current route to starter rather than battery down - as you discovered.

#20 Chris, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information