1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Streetfighter Rear Sprocket Movement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jimmy the hat, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Hi,

Please could you let me know if this is too much lateral movement in the rear sprocket? I understand there should be some float but mine seems excessive.

Thanks

2. I would have expected to see some give via the rubbers radially, (but not that much that you could actually see or feel it by hand) but no movement side to side. By moving side to side chain alignment must be out, which cannot be a good thing.

3. Just been out and checked mine, some movement but maybe not quite as much as yours.

4. Thanks for the replies and to Rman for going to check your bike.

5. So is this normal movement ?.. Just done the chain tension on my 848 and noticed mine is about the same as this. Should there be about 1mm of lateral movement on the sprocket ?

6. It was due a service so I asked Snell's to check. They noted was the chain had a tight spot but no comments on the sprocket movement. I ended up replacing the chain and sprockets a few months later due to the tight spot. The new sprocket does not move, whether the mechanic over tightened it I am not sure.

Someone commented on the you tube video saying theirs was the same. As far as I can tell it appears to be common, whether normal I am not quite sure.

7. Thanks Jimmy, Will give Snells a call as it had its last service there. They were happy to see it again when i popped in a couple of weeks back to get a bar end plug.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The sprocket on my 848 sf moves exactly the same as in the vid, the metal shims on the rubber cush bushings don't seem to sit tight withing the sprocket, a lot of people say this is completely normal, then other people say definitely no right, did you get to the bottom of it? Thanks

9. Controversial, possibly more opinions to follow, but for me it's a minor design flaw/compromise which seems to have become more of an issue since first adopted, possibly due to a change of tolerances and/or material changes. All three Multistradas I have, have a varying degree of movement here for example. The outer diameter of the silent blocks is normally a slide/light interference fit in the sprocket from new, but this can even vary with aftermarket sprockets just to complicate matters. During usage the relationship between the two changes, sometimes resulting in binding due to corrosion (solves above problem but harder to remove silentblock when/if replacement necessary) or more commonly, excessive play and movement. Up to the owner, but until the sprocket movement becomes extremely "floppy" or "excessive" (hard to define) I usually leave alone but check more regularly.
    As usual, if in doubt, if at all concerned, then best renew sprocket and silentblocks/cush-drive assy complete.

10. I have a JT QR Carrier on mine. No movement at all

11. I never needed to resort to a solution regarding above problem on any of my 748/996 apart from the whole silentblock "walking" sideways and then milling away the chain adjuster ring*, but this is something that's occurring due to a subtle assy change on later designs across the range.

* cured by fitting aftermarket Renthal carrier or similar with a "lip" or by crudely centre-punching to reduce diameter on inboard exit side for silentblock.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information