1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

851/888 Mirror Fix/alternative

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Ducfreakedave, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Hey guys, need some help here. It seems I'm getting used to not knowing what's behind me. Not really a bad thing but comes in handy once in a while. I'm wondering if any of you guys have a fix for the stock 851 mirrors drooping or even a nice alternative to replace those big ugly things. Thanks!

2. maybe mirror blanks and a bar end mirror instead? done this on my 748 and it looks good (to me anyway!) and works well..

3. I have one bike that gives me no probs with the mirrors and an SP4 which come loose after a few rides out on it. I will give Marvin's tip a try next time as noted by Dave above..

4. Thread moved

5. Good to know, thanks for the info guys. I'll try it out this weekend!

6. I think he was just recommending a bit of kit that he found made the job easiest.

7. He was talking about a ball end allen key when removing or refitting the mirror to the bike to save moving the mirror out the way to get to the fixing bolts.

8. OK, makes sense. I haven't done the job for a while but I recall one of the fixing bolts in particular is a pita.

9. The cross-head screw that goes through the dishes/ball retaining thingy can bottom out and not do it's job. Just grind a bit off the shank.

10. Did mine recently and although I haven't ridden it ,I really need to force them into position , they are vastly improved. Took them apart and scuffed the plastic ball joint with emery paper, also scuffed inner cup of aluminium joint which sits against the plastic ball. Then applied carbon paste which is for push bikes so you don't overtighten pinch bolts for carbon to carbon , i.e. seat posts , handlebars etc.

11. Thought I would add a quick tip. Both mirrors droopy :) I prefer not to cut, rough-up or file stuff as it is a one way street... so I added a single layer of bicycle inner tube, cut into a circle slightly larger than the ball/socket. Cut a small hole for the screw and clamp ball shank to pass through. As the screw is tightened it grips the inner tube from both sides allowing the joint to grip while remaining fully adjustable. Seems to work quite well and is ifinitely repeatable... availability of inner tubes not withstanding!

12. That sounds worth a try, thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Let me know how it goes... :)

14. Are they the Baby Turbo style or the Mickey Mouse ears? Can help you out if the latter as I have a spare... :)

15. I had a go at my SS mirrors recently. There’s the hinge joint stem to fairing mount and the stem to mirror ball and socket joints to deal with.

Having shimmed up the hinge joint so that it really does clamp the stem solidly I had the other mirror and stem in my hand. Idle curiosity made me wonder how far the ball and socket arrangement would swivel and also how far it would rotate.

I found the mirror would rotate the full 360° and at 180° it was a lot stiffer so that’s how they now installed on the bike. Effectively turning the stem upside down.

Haven’t Road tested it yet but anything has got to be better than how it was.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information