1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

888 Spexhaust Clamps And Sprocket Nut Clearance

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by wastegate, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Just started cleaning and investigating and 2 things jump out straight away.

1) The SP silencers ( ZDMB04 ) just push into the header, there are no clamps just the header outlet being double walled so he silencer pipework pushes into it, no exhaust springs either. It looks right as there is no slot in the outer wall to close up when you tighten a clamp but I would have expected a pair of exhaust springs in that case. Is this normal on an 888?

2) The sprocket nuts and protruding studs sit within 1mm of the swingarm chain adjuster inner. Again is this normal on an 888 or is it a result of someone fitting a different rear ( Brembo ) wheel which runs a wider chain line ( cant imagine that ) or a different swing arm with a narrower spacing. Some of the nuts are chewed up terribly but the studs look OK. IMG_20200717_174832479.jpg

2. Looks ok/ about standard to me, others will confirm. If you compare that gold "endcap" with the one on the right you will see how they shaved a little off the inner face on the chain side as an afterthought due to proximity. It's the same on the early Monster M900. Having said that, it is worth checking that cushdrives in wheel are not delaminating/coming adrift allowing sprocket more leeway than normal.

3. #3 990Glen, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. Excellent link and thanks so much for the quick response guys. Will investigate the wheel spacers and see if I can work it out, Cheers

5. I would need to look as getting rusty now, but from memory, axle has no shoulders and you have to carefully tighten each side of wheel to ensure thread is shared out evenly, i.e - excess threaded spindle on one side is not a sign that sprocket clearance has lessened as a result.

6. Just make sure the cush drive, sprocket carrier is fully home because if it backs out the bolt ends will start milling into the swingarm side in a nice circular groove... The clearance is minimal.

7. Advice was dead right. Sprocket carrier sat 1mm off the wheel and actually rocked about. Tapered spacers in so possibly wrong sized bearings, will use that link to check. Why the sprocket was knackered junk fitted with a new chain and half sawn off nuts is a mystery. This bike has been really looked after well and everything came apart smoothly, an impact driver on a workbench was hardly needed and nothing seems marked. It is a delight to work on compared to a Honda CBF1000 I got in October as my workhorse - 1/3 the age, 1/3 the miles but had suffered a `clean the bodywork ignore the nasty mechanical bits after salty rides` then suffered a rattlecan refurb. Many thanks for your help. Wastey.

IMG_20200718_172608251.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. My '89 851 exhaust is the same, push in silencers and they are held by the hangers..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information