1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 899 Cartagena Gearing

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by carson, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hi Guys,

I’m doing Cartagena on the 899 next month and was wondering if any of you guys have any advice on gearing?

Cheers

2. I’d not bother. Cartagena is more suited to the smaller bikes, mixture of tight and a couple of long flowing bends that link into each other with no long straights so you get to carry high corner speeds and get on the throttle early. Keep it simple. Andy

3. I’ve ridden Cartagena a few times on the R1 (about 4 Euro trips) but this will be the first time on the 899 and only my second outing on it

4. -1 off the front will suit nearly all tracks ime

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 899’s can be a tricky one on track as you’ll often find yourself ‘inbetween gears’.

As Bradders says above really or even better speak to a trioptions rider? Someone will have tested out there. But even that depends on your pace, you could have the gearing spot on for lap record pace but if you can’t ride at that pace you’ll probably still not be right.

It’s one of those subjects isn’t it lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have every combination of sprockets and i found standard gearing the best do it all gearing as i could not be bothered to mess around in the end as it meant keep changing the chain length all the time,i would go standard or one down front or 2 up back.Changing gearing will end up doing your head in :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pretty sure I'm std or maybe +1 rear.
    Cartagena was 3rd all the way except the straight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. same, keep it standard and less hassle.

9. Asking a much faster guy, or slower one, is useless. They will be faster and higher revs everywhere.

I took my 848 there and was doing 1’50 ish, and was top on the straight, just, with -1 front. Took gixer 1000 there, and was doing 1’54 ish and was hitting 6th on the straight. -2 front, +2 rear. Wheelies in top!

Both are slow times. Sean Neary was doing 1’39 on his 899 and was running pretty std gearing iirc and flat in 6th!

10. Am going back to standard gearing, The rear had a 46t and whilst great out of corners found it geared too high. Have a 44t to pop on the rear at some point before Brno. Horse Power Hill will be interesting with STD set up. Not been to Cartagena, but SimmyTT seems to have the right idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Standard gearing works well for the 899 at cartagena.

i rode my wife's road bike there doing decent times and felt stock gearing was suited well.

12. Standard gearing works well for the 899 at cartagena.

i rode my wife's road bike there doing decent times and felt stock gearing was suited well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Team I’ve bought the bike off have said to go with 15/44

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Which are the stock sizes. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cheers

16. AS mentioned above.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information