1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 899 Panigale, What To Look For?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Arron1984, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Afternoon

just looking for abit of advice, looking into buying an 899 in the near future, but after already having abit of an off putting experience with a dealer online (trying to sell me an ex tri options cup bike, but not advertising as such)

im wondering what is best to look for on these? are there any known major issue's, recalls etc?. anyway other than via the VIN to know the bikes an ex race bike?

Cheers

2. Hi Arron,

I’ve heard of minor radiator and oil leaks lurking on here but nothing really major.
    If you don’t mind, how do you/did you find out it was an ex TOC bike? That’s a bit naughty if they knew!

3. Which dealer was this?

4. yeah very naughty! so basically before it got delivered it acquired an ABS fault, so after a few days of chasing they said ring ducati Manchester and see whats going on if you want, speaking with the tech he said there was no fault and someone had just disabled the abs in the menu.

then he dropped the bomb he said there was a problem with the VIN number not showing up so he had spoken to ducati UK who informed him it was sold originaly as a tri options cup bike.

ive let the shop know and he said he will speak to his manager about it as they never knew themselves, im letting them know tomorrow im backing out of the deal and going elsewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. it was superbike factory in macclesfield, ive got the reg of the bike aswell ill be keeping an eye out for it going back up for sale and making sure they put the details about it being an ex race bike on

6. VIN won't tell you, not unless a Ducati have started giving that info.

Usual spots are: lock wiring holes in sumo plug, top of oil filler, general bolts that can vibrate. Low miles and lots of good bits fitted (ohlins internal but mot forks - they aren't allowed). Signs of rasping on the frame, check lockstops to see if damaged.

:)

7. The 899 is pretty bulletproof,missing steering lock stops is a good way of checking if its been down the road,mag engine covers and swing arm covers and bodywork and rearsets in to good condition compared to the rest of the bike are tell tail signs of a race bike,plenty of nice ones out there.

8. yep ducati UK let the ducati dealer where the bike was being repaired know why the VIN wasnt showing up

9. They're known to be a bit shit no?

10. are they? just seemed a nice straight bike at what seemed to be the going rate... this has obviously gone tits up since ha

im looking at one in Scotland now which has a fair few mods on it

11. Just read the rest, which was added between original post and me posting. Bummer!

12. There's one listed on here for decent money

13. as mentioned above, check the lock stops, as they seem to snap clean off the bottom yoke in the event of an accident.
    I was asked to check over a 899 in Germany that was sold as a 'nearly new' with a few nice parts and after a very quick close inspection I found all the normal lock wire holes and snapped lock stops.
    got the guy his full money back from the seller 24hrs later luckily. but still a bit of a underhand thing to try and pull off.

14. cheers, im definatley looking for a good one itll be my first proper bike purchase after buying a cheap gsxr600 to get a year under my belt on

15. They seem to buy the roughest cheapest bikes on the market and then sell them making a grand profit on each bike

16. And the rest...

17. I called them about this bike and the guy on the phone told me straight off it was an ex TOC bike, so I told him I wouldn't pay that sort of money for a ewx race bike!! don't think he likes that much

18. good to know that they are now telling people! shame they dont put it on the ad

as i say they never told me it was a ducati dealer that pointed it out... still asking top dollar for it mind!

in the end i bought mine from a chap in scotland

19. Ha so did I!

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information