1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 899 V 959 Insurance

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Gweev, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So just taken delivery of a 2017 959 to replace my 2015 899 and my insurance company Hastings Direct won't cover me until I've owned it for a year and with any other company the premium has doubled!

What the hell is going on here?? Has anyone else seen this type of nonsense when upgrading 899-959?

2. Don’t get me started on insurance companies. The sooner they introduce a transparent scoring system the better!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Not with the 899-959 but had similar when I bought the Tricolore...

Current insurer wouldn't cover the Panigale until over one year, and the other quotes that I got raged from in the region of £600 to £11,500!!

I even run a quote with a purchase date of 12 months prior (quote came out very reasonable) and them called the company to accept the quote and update the purchase date to see if that would work... That also failed and they wanted to increase the premium 3 fold (I expected it would fail but was worth a try ;))

Having been on the 1198 for three years prior seemed to count for nothing! As much as I hate dealing with Insurance companies, I make sure I shop around every year as loyalty gets you nowhere, switching generally saves you a few ££'3 though :)

4. Probably the new for old policy that makes them not want to cover it.

Always found hastings very good, so surprised by this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I went from an 899 to a 1299 and the insurance went down?
    Never got my head around why, but never contested it either.

6. I went from an 899 to a 959 with a special paint job and different can. My insurance went down a bit in the first year I changed, then went down a lot when I renewed it in April.

7. You should try living in London. Insurance is a nightmare.

Try MCE

8. I've been with Hastings since the 899 was new and they've always been a reasonable price. Last year the renewal went up so I compared it online and found them quoting cheaper there so got them to match it.

I just can't see what risk it is they are trying to avoid with this owned for one year shit. They insured me on the 899 from new and the 959 is not new.

9. I never had any issue insuring my 959. Apart from it being £500 compared to £250 for my old r1. But I expeced that of an 11k bike.
    Try the bike insurer. They quote loads of companies.

10. Mine did the same, by a fair whack as well ha

• Like Like x 1
  11. Remember Hastings are a broker so you may have been placed with an insurer that don’t like either mid term changes or new bikes. Have they said they can’t offer a new policy at all? As I said they were ok with my 17k multi when new.

12. I didn't ask add I was so pissed off!

That said they were at the bottom of the list on GoCompare with Unable to Quote, so I'm guessing they would have refused.

13. That's where I went. Got insured with RAC now, but still double what I was paying on the 899.

14. You've been bummed then.

15. Unless there has been a spate of robberies in your postcode I can’t imagine why it’s double

16. When I got my 959 they had literally just come out and insurers didn’t have a clue

Could have insured an 899 for about 2/3 the price.

When the bike was 1 year old my insurance went down to less than half the first year

They said it was cos they have more statistics on the 899 and the 959 was unknown

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. My 959 costs me more than my x5 and 2 other bikes combined lol! I ride it to work on occasion so had to have commuting on which added up even more! I hope it reduces next year!

18. Someone (driving on the wrong side of the road, and trying to ram me off the road rather than hit oncoming cars) hit the door of my company car. Witnesses to it all, totally not my fault. Anyway, I nearly forgot about it (it not being my fault), and remembered at the last minute going through the renewal on the phone..... they added £300 to my premium for a no fault accident of someone hitting the door of my car. It is a total scam operation if you ask me, because that in no way makes it more likely I’m going to crash my bike!

19. It’s the reason I didn’t claim on my multi and just bought the bits myself. Sure it as £1500 but I had a car, a van, another bike and am on my wife’s policy. Imagine the potential impact on that lot! So didn’t bother.

20. Thanks I hope mine halves next year. In fact, since I've already got the max NCD, I still get quotes in a few months time to see if the prices have dropped. If they have, I'll swap company.

[Quote/] They said it was cos they have more statistics on the 899 and the 959 was unknown [/QUOTE]

But the 959 has been out since 2015, so the insurance co's must have some statistics on them now, and I can't believe the statistics say the 959 is more of a risk than the 899.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information