1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 Ss Petrol Tank Sound Deadening Foam Crumbled!

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Scottiebike, Dec 28, 2020.

1. The foam stuck underneath my tank has crumbled and started to disintegrate (found lots of bits inside the air box!). It has taken me ages to remove the horrible sticky glue residue left behind - pic below is before I removed it. White spirit was the only solvent to actually work. Job from hell :-(

Has anybody replaced theirs with just heat reflecting foil instead of foam? I assume it was fitted to deaden the intake sound?

20201223_152628.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Not an SS, but my M900 had already had the foam replaced with foil before I brought it a few years ago.

The foam under the tank of my 1000SS is encased in a fabric cover and held in place with small velcro tabs, but that appears to be crumbling inside the fabric covering.

Because of the above, I've been thinking about using foil under the 900SS tank I'm putting on the 1000SS, but haven't got around to buying it yet.

My only issue is a small worry about removing it again if I need to, as the stuff under my M900 tank is backed by what is effectively a layer of a sticky tar like substance about 3-4mm thick, and wouldn't come off easily if I wanted it too.

Nasher..

3. Looks nasty, what year bike have you got?

4. A bit like the underside of a kitchen sink then?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Is there any reason to replace it?

6. 1993, so foam is pretty old!

7. Agree with the folk who have said don't replace it - will be able to hear the air box more :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I have sound deadening foam/sponge on the inside of the fairings.
    This ones a ‘97 model I don’t recall it being on my previous’ ‘95 bike, although it was many years ago.

9. would say it was there for maybe 2 reasons to kill intake noise from the airbox and maybe antivibration noise on that section of the tank as its a large flat area it could maybe resonate with vibration
    not that ducati's vibrate do they hmm
    you can get different types of sound deadening sheets on eBay mainly designed for cars but does the same did see some 12mm foam sound proofing on there if you really want to replace it but honestly i wouldnt bother the induction roar is lovely why mute it

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information