1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 Ssie 2001 - Number Of Chain Links

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Billywiztheelder, Mar 5, 2020.

1. I need to change the chain and all of the chain suppliers I have looked at list the chain as being 98 links. Whereas both the Ducati owner’s handbook and the Ducati factory workshop manual list it as being 102 links (the handbook does list 98 links for the 750 but this has a different swing arm which sort of makes sense).

Can anybody please give me a definitive answer otherwise it’s shoes and socks off time and count the b****y things. Many thanks.

2. I have an IE owners handbook here.....just had a quick look and this what it shows.

upload_2020-3-5_14-50-12.png

3. Very interesting and many thanks for looking this up for me. Do you know what year that owners manual referred to? Because the one that came with the bike from new is 3rd photo and 1st and 2nd photos are what the factory workshop manual is telling me.

Whilst my photos are from electronic versions of the documents I have verified them against the genuine hard copies that came from my Ducati dealer.

Looks like I am going to have to count the damn things after all.

74267CED-EB52-4434-923E-D8FE96F80F9E.png 80CB549B-CE12-4A1B-AFDD-BB1681289A9F.png B117EA99-3760-4B53-B4BA-2AD1BD89B67F.png

4. The page I posted was from the genuine owners handbook, albeit a pdf file.

On the front it says for 2002; on the back printed 2001.

5. Most interesting my machine is 2001 but one of my sons has a 2002 model which introduced the sculpted swing arm that utilised the Ohlins suspension rather than the Showa on mine. I will ask him to count the links on his machine to see if his handbook is telling porkies.

Both machines have been owned by us from new so we know that the chains have not been tampered with. Today, I was grovelling on my knees counting links and to dispel my disbelief after the first and then the second tally I counted twice more.

Not 98 links, not 102 links but 96 links. Which explains why, when I spoke to Wemoto yesterday, that they had sold a goodly few chain and sprocket sets specifically for the 900 SSie and have had no complaints.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information