1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss 1992 Rebuild - Progress And A Rear Brake Caliper Question

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Hi All

Great progress on the 900SS rebuild over the last few weeks (snow permitting). We're about 95% and she starts and runs! Whoop!! I'm itching to post pictures on here but want to wait until it's complete andd functional before I do.

It's not perfect (yet) though and there are still a few finishing off jobs to do, one of which is brakes.

I bought new genuine seal kits all round from a vendor on eBay, quite some time ago (probably just under a year), but it's taken this long to get round to this part. Fronts went in fine, but the rears appear to be the wrong size.

The pistons are 32mm diameter, and I suspect he's sent me the set for the 34mm which I believe was fitted to some 900SS, perhaps later than 92...?

The code on the kit he has sent is 98.5032.60. Can anyone confirm what code should be for a 32mm piston set up? And is that called a P32F caliper?

Thanks, and if he won't take them back (I suspect not as it's been a while), I've a set for a 34mm caliper going cheap!

Cheers

James

• Like Like x 1
  2. Do you have the black front calipers? The gold rears from 1993 onwards were 34mm iirc.

3. The Stein Dinse parts fiche uses the same part number for the rear calipers in the '92 to '97FE. They list them at 32mm piston but they don't list a seal kit. They list a new rear caliper(20516143) at 121euro and available. Not much help though!

4. Thanks guys, front calipers are gold. Bike is 1992 (white frame/black wheels, first registered in March 92, though interestingly the registration document say it was manufactured in 1991.

It looks like mine has got a 32mm rear caliper and the seal kit I got was for a later 34mm bike.

I'm in touch with the vendor now and he's going to get me a 32mm set, hopefully!

Cheers

James

5. Cool James. Very common caliper fitted to many Ducatis, Guzzis etc so you should be able to get a seal kit easy

6. Seems there are two types of 32mm rear caliper, an earlier one with a 2mm width seal and a later one with a 3mm seal, and they swapped sometime around 1992. Mine is an earlier one (P32F) with the narrower seal. I didn't get anywhere with my original vendor, but Powerhouse were knowledgeable and efficient and sorted me out with the right kit from a photo of the caliper and £32.49.

If anyone has a later 32mm caliper and wants a seal kit, PM me.

Cheers

James

7. If you need brake and clutch seals etc, talk to your local KTM dealer - many KTMs use the identical components as Ducati and they cost sometimes less than half the cost of Ducati parts.

AL

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Or order online from KTM dealer Pope.

9. Thanks guys, seals are now sorted... but on to the next issue!

10. There's always something to sort isn't there, lol

11. Be boring if it all went smoothly... :joy:

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information