1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss 1e 2000 Model Alternator Nut Removal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Simon Moore, Mar 6, 2018.

1. I bought a pair of Nicols alternator nuts and an alternator holding tool.

I believe my bike has a 3 phase alternator and I believe a single nut torqued down to around 300nm

I am planning to change the nut myself but will I be able to undo the original nut without an air impact wrench? Any advice?

2. It might be loose - give it a try

3. Jam a copper coin in the gears. Done this a few times. Use a breaker bar. Easy

4. I don't think it loose but want to change it before that happens. I'm just not sure it can be don without an impact tool.

5. Where about's in London are you and how soon you need to do this?

6. Hi Cream_revenge - I live in Muswell Hill. No hurry. Got the bike recently and this seems like something I should sort out. It's only done 11000 miles.

7. I've got one of these:
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...MInJ2Vz5PY2QIVaL7tCh3IAAF0EAQYASABEgJoqPD_BwE

If it's no rush I could bring it over one Sunday morning and you could whip it off and I'll then shoot over to the Ace. Won't be soon though, maybe 29th April as there's normally a meet there on the last Sunday of each month. Very weather dependent for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Creamy, petesmeet is on 4th Sunday, which is 22nd, but I think he might be moving it nx month as 29th April is Italian Day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Simon,
    I have not got any experience on the electronic ignition models but the torque figure you mention seems a bit high - appologies for sticking my nose in.
    The carby models are (Haynes):
    SS/SL1991-93 - 177-186Nm
    SS/SL 1994 - on - 180-190Nm
    I wouldn't have thought it needed an impact gun I can't remember it being that hard to get off but if 300Nm is the figure then maybe.

Cheers Gaz

10. Me too and it whizzed of the nut easily on my old 1198 with alternator holding tool. I also use it for rear wheel. useful product.

11. you don't even need to use the holding tool anymore as twisting torque is almost instant - try it next time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1198 is gone now :( I hope pani's sprag holds out so i dont get the chance (if its a similar system)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. According to the workshop manual for the 2001 900SSie the alternator nut should be torqued to 186Nm. The manuals for the 1000SS and the MTS1000, both with the 1000DS motor says 190 Nm but the ST4s manual specifies 270N which is a hell of a lot more. Yet all of them use the same 3-phase alternator and stator. The ST4s has a different crank but I'm not sure that that would have any bearing on it.
    Anyway I have 3 Ducati manuals that all recommend 186-190Nm for this bike.
    I'd recommend the Laser flywheel holding tool for this job. I think there are some cheaper ones available if you do a web search.

14. You might get away with that, but it’s bad advice, you're putting a huge load on items that weren’t designed to take it.

15. As the Shazaam article says there have been a few changes to the crankshaft nuts.
    This part is relevant;
    "On engines with a solid countershaft drive gear (the gear behind the flywheel assy,) Ducati now recommends torquing the nut to 270Nm. On SP/SPS and other models where the countershaft drive gear is grooved where it sits on the crankshaft, you can only torque to 190Nm, to avoid damaging the gear."
    And explains the difference between the ST4s and 900SSie / 1000DS models. Torque yours to 190Nm.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks everybody for your help.

17. Yes, quite right. Usually last (4th) Sunday but 5th Sunday this April.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information