1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss/750ss Frames - The Same Or Not?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Wheelnut, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Anyone know if the 1990s 900SS and 750SS /600SS frames are the same?

I'm thinking of replacing the frame on my 1993 750SS (found evidence of historic crash damage) and have found a 1994 900SS frame for sale that looks identical. My concern is whether the engine mountings are the same. I think I read somewhere that the engine mounting bolt diameter is different but I may have got that wrong.

If I do buy the replacement frame, I don't want to strip the whole bike down and then find the 750SS engine won't fit the 900SS frame!

Any thoughts?

2. I too have a 750SS, albeit a '94 model & like you I thought they were the same crankcases so all the mounting points & bolt sizes were the same.
    I was going to suggest looking at an online parts list, but it appears they only seem to go back to around the 2000 year mark, nothing any older.
    Someone will be along shortly with the definitive info I'm sure.

I was under the impression the only real difference between crankcases as far as mounting points go is that the later cases are narrower where the swing arm mounts.

3. I'm sure that someone will confirm for definite, but I personally can't imagine Ducati making different frames..it doesn't make economic sense.
    Cheers
    Grant

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You can find pre 2000 parts diagrams at www.oem-parts.hu

If the bolts are the same then it's reasonable to assume the frames are the same .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Only difference between them were the make of the shocks and the forks and the front tyre had a different profile.

Swingarm material varied.....many 900s had aluminium a few had steel; vice versa for the 750s. Some early aluminium ones were slightly different in design.

Something worth noting.....it is not advisable to fit a Sachs Boge shock to an aluminium swingarm......the Sachs Boge mounting eyes were larger than the Showa ones, so they had a tendency to hit the aluminium mounting lugs when in the 'twisted' position.

I think that's all apart from the obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rear engine bolt is the same, front mounting bolts are different in that the 750SS uses one allen bolt each side, the 900SS has a through-bolt. If diameters are different (probably not though), the frame drillings will be different. Not insurmountable, as a sleeve could be made up if necessary, but I wanted to check that the actual bolt mountings are in the same position.

I don't think it's safe to make an assumption that Ducati wouldn't make slightly different frames for different engines. These are Italians, not Germans, so logic doesn't really come into it!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Sev (and others) is right and they are all the same, but just wanted some reassurance. Mine has an aluminium swingarm and Showa forks and rear shock.

7. That's a really useful resource. Think I'll bookmark that one.

8. I've used it a lot and have even ordered parts from them. The part numbers they use don't seem to relate to Ducati part numbers though.

9. Just looked again at that parts list again. 750SS and 900SS frame part numbers are the same, so that confirms it.

#9 Wheelnut, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. 600 frame is the same as well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information