1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss / 93/94 - Gel Battery

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Reggie Sedgeley, May 12, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Can anyone guide me please onto finding a gel battery for my 93/94 900SS?

Thoughts / direction would be great, thanks
    R :bucktooth::upyeah:

2. I believe you need one of these, I have been using Motorbatt AGM batteries on my bikes for years now and they are extremely good, they hold their charge incredibly well, double check with the seller but I’m pretty sure this will fit your bike, I have a lithium battery on my 900ss because it came with one fitted, but when it eventually fails I’ll fit a motorbatt
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152664823408

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mark9, thank you very much :upyeah:. I would not have known about such a battery, let alone make, so I can investigate / check out. From your post too seems to be the way to go. I'm reverting back to the original champion stark plugs too, as I find the bike responds better on fire-up - when the battery is able!
    Thank again :upyeah::)

4. +1 for the AGM batteries. Andy

5. ..hey, nice-one, thanks! :):upyeah:

6. Many including myself would only use Yuasa and if you subscribe to the forum one of the benefits is a Halfords Trade Card (when the backlog has been dealt with) which will give you great discount and quite likely buy the battery + the forum subscription fee for the same price as the Motobatt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Nothing wrong with a Yuasa imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. ...on Yuasa, I have always been, its just that the liquid battery the bike was 'born-with' just doesn't seem to deliver anymore. I've seen the benefit of gel so I want to take a look

Any guidance on a Yuasa gel battery for the 900 at all guys please?

9. Motobatts can also die. I've been through a few on my bikes in the past

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yuasa AGM all the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Had my 999 MOTd last week.
    I saw a Motobatt lying around and asked what he thought of them.
    He no longer stocks them as too many issues.
    Yuasa AGM all the way and dead cheap with a Halfords card.
    It's AGM you need, not gel - 'absorbed glass mat'. Don't fail to team it up with some forum discounted starting circuit cables from @Exige and you won't believe the transformation in how your bike starts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frankly I can't see the point of fitting anything other than a conventional lead/acid Yuasa battery - if someone is doing it for a weight saving exercise (which I think is pretty pointless on a road going bike) then there are many other things that can be changed before the piddly weight difference between batteries.

For example; a aluminium swingarm instead of steel (unless one is already fitted) or an aftermarket exhaust system; changing the fairing from full to half etc etc.

Admittedly if I was preparing a race bike; I would be ruthless with what I chucked or changed.

13. (Old Rider); - thanks, what you are saying is appealing, sounds as if I would be getting the best of both worlds, so to speak (Yuasa + AGM). Sounds also as if Halfords is the way to do, too, so I need to look into that (possibly join up, too for the card!)

(Arquebus); - I have no desire to change what is a very original bike with extremely genuine low mileage, but, it no longer seems to want to play ball in the lead battery compartment, so for me a pressing need has arisen to apply technology. I'm sure you're quite right, but I can't imagine this change will harm it. Certainly, going back to champion sparks were an instant appeal!
    Thanks both.

14. The card pays for itself very quickly. Great discounts on own brand

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Champion sparks? Piddly little flashes of light - NGK much better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. AGM batteries are still lead acid and as such are still conventional.
    However, they are a development of this conventional technology and have big advantages.
    The first big advantage is that they produce more CCA (cold cranking amps) than a totally traditional wet lead acid battery, so pack more punch for their size and weight.
    The second is that they are maintenance free - no more checking the level of each cell and topping up with distilled water and getting a ruined, sulphated battery if you forget.
    The third is that they don't leak, so no acid spills. They are so leak proof that in my 999, the oem installation is to have the battery on its side.

My personal recommendation is NGK iridium for plugs, as like the AGM batteries, they are zero maintenance fit and forget for years to come.
    I suspect your Champions appeared great because they were fresh and new, not because they are inherently superior.

My SS came with a spare plug under the seat and the PO reckoned I would need it because the plugs fouled so badly with a cold engine.
    I cured this with a coil kit from CaliforniaCycleWorks. This cost a fortune to personally import but I never needed to carry a spare plug again.
    The good news is that these are now available from @Exige on here at much more reasonable cost and with a forum discount.
    The higher power coils also give a steadier idle and slow running as well as improved throttle response.

17. Agree on the coils. As regards the Iridium they get mixed views by SS owners, I would certainly got with NGK plugs though. Iridium only good if your engine running sweet anyway. The gaps bigger so would definitely benefit from higher voltage coils.

Many lead acid batteries are now maintenance free. I just installed a Hausa on my IE SS and you can't top it up once filled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Yes, I don't make much on them :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information