1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss - 999 Lights Conversion.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Dec 19, 2016.

1. As part of my 900SS ‘Bitsa’ build I want to fit a pair of 999 Projector headlights into the standard 900SS rectangular headlamp opening.

I’ll start a new thread on the main bike build when I get the frame back from the powdercoaters, but I had a bit of time over the weekend so had a little play.

The basic plan is to replace the standard headlight with a White faux number board with the lights set into it.

These are what I plan to use.
    Lights 1.jpg

My first job was to repair the low beam pivot ball joint on one side where it had been broken off.
    In place of the ball I used an M5 Stainless steel nut turned down in my lathe, and replaced the broken shaft with an M5 screw locked into the body.
    It was quick and easy, much stronger than the original, but real overkill for what it needs to do.
    Pivot Repair 1.jpg
    Pivot Repair 2.jpg

Unfortunately the pair are too wide to fit alongside each other in the SS aperture with the adjustment mechanisms in place, but I really do want to keep the standard adjustment of the individual units.
    Lights 1a.jpg

I realised that if I could turn one of the units up the other way, and remove the mounting bushes from the inside edges of the plastic, the lenses would be close enough together.
    They could also be bolted together to help with mounting later on.
    Lights 2.jpg

So now they at least fit in the hole.
    Lights 3.jpg

Obviously though it’s not as easy as just flipping the low beam unit over because of the beam pattern, so I needed to decide how I could attach the adjustment mechanism to the reflector/lens 180 deg out, which is complicated by the small turret it attaches to on the back of the reflector not being on the centreline, although helpfully there is a redundant one on the other side.
    I could just mount the unit at a jaunty angle to the high beam unit, but it would look terrible.
    Lights 4.jpg

So I cut the small turret off, reshaped it slightly, Keyed the reflector, and glued it back on with epoxy where it needs to be.
    Lights 5.jpg
    Lights 6.jpg
    Lights 7.jpg

Unfortunately I’m now stopped until I get the bike back together enough to position the lights and design a bracket to hold them, but having mocked it all up I now know they will fit.
    Nasher

• Like Like x 4
  2. Johnny 5 is alive :)

IMG_0253.JPG

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information