1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss And Superlight Comfort And Feedback

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Dirty Leeds, Oct 11, 2020.

1. has anybody needed to use different bars or risers, heli bars etc to make a 900ss comfier as I sat on one and the long tank made reach a bit of pain but I’m sure it can be improved, have seen abm online that allows for handlebars to be fitted which is a good idea but think I prefer the more traditional look...just wondered if anyone had tried anything? Are these bikes ok not mega high maintenance? a good or decent road bike? Any information or opinion appreciated.

2. which ss carby or injection
    the injection model bars are lower than the carby
    have seen on here top yoke conversions for more comfort on the ie models
    also i think the bars of an st model fit and raise position a little but not 100% sure on details on that
    failing that yoga

3. With you on the yoga comment!
    Like anything you get used to after a while.
    Took mine in for a service, I stepped off my 900ss ( Carby) yesterday and straight on to. Multistrada, which was my previous bike.
    I had for years and toured France, Spain, Ireland and uk on it, boy what a difference!
    I feel I was hanging off it, not part of it.
    I wouldn’t consider touring on the SS but for blasts out, standing back and admiring, the SS wins out!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. the carbed SS has higher bars as said above, they come up a fair way above the top yoke, and actually make the riding position almost a commuter. The i.e bikes have lower bars but the ergonomic is different as well in respect to the seat / peg / bars triangle.
    Neither of them are superbike crippling though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. The superlight is probably one of the most comfortable bikes I've owned. Better than 749 (numb arse) gsxr750/rgv250 wrists+ legs. At just under 6' I can do a few hours easy, even bought Ventura rack for it as contemplating a bit of touring with it.

6. see, at a more eco-friendly 5'7 I adtually found my SRAD to be the roomiest of bikes, and the Supeprlight to be akin to sitting at a dining room table with my arms outstrtched. Then again, I even found a 916 to have lots of real estate so...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ah, I didn't realise the I.e bikes had lower bars, have been looking on ebay of an evening at them. The bars on my SS are low enough so that's that idea out of the window. Thanks for the info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. there's nothing stopping you from getting the carby SS bars and putting them on the ie. if they have 50mm fork tops, which I think they do.
    The carby bars hav something like a 50mm riser - I've dropped mine all the way down the forks and they're still pretty much above the top yoke.
    Don't forget that you can rotate them as well - it's not like the 999 where there's a locating pin to angle them. I've done this with the SL so that the bars are 'flatter' than the stock position and it's made quite a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cheers fellas ... food for thought seriously appreciate the feedback

• Like Like x 1
  10. At just over 5'10" I find my 1994 Carby SS to be like an armchair.
    Did lots of touring on it France, Italy, Switzerland when I was younger.
    Not a Supersport by modern standards, but deceptively quick and plenty of fun on a twisty road.
    Reliability - 72,000 miles on the clock.
    Head studs at 14,000, Reg/Rec at 33,000, Rings and Guides around 50,000, Fork Seal at 72,000.

• Like Like x 5
  11. sat on a friends gsxr 1000 felt positively upright riding position like a bandit compared to my 750 ie
    was surprised when he said he couldnt keep up with me out of roundabouts though
    love the torque :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. My gsxr was a 1990 750L, seat was like a plank of wood. But I probably had less padding back then.

13. I would respectfully suggest, with the GSXR 1000 having more of everything you do want, and less of everything you don’t want for getting out of roundabouts faster than a 750 SSie, that either the GSXR was very sick, or your friend isn't turning the twisty thing on the right handlebar far enough? ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hi Carl,
    For me, a 900SS or SSie makes a really good easy-going old school road bike. Not mega fast but manageable and rewarding when pushing on. They are arguably the lowest price entry point for the full Ducati sports bike experience - roaring induction, rumbling exhaust, rattling dry clutch, strong torque, firm suspension and taut chassis.
    At their best winding on hard from low speed leant over a fair way...You know, that bit where you go- “that was cool, lets do it again“. Feels like they have... I guess you could call it Soul.
    Standard steering geometry is supertanker slow on the SS, Never going to be a razor but easy and cheap to sharpen. There were some weak spots early on, but given the age of the bikes now, the worst faults will already have happened if they are going to, so with routine maintenance they are reliable, and servicing is simple.
    I found that in standard trim, the injection engine is easier to live with at slow speeds on/off throttle and faster at the top end, but the carb model is easier to live with for riding position.
    Either one is something that you can have, enjoy, and sell for the same or a little more than you paid. What’s not to love !

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cheers John :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Duc ST4S alloy clip on bars will lift and bring the bars back towards the rider more than the stock carby bars. I posted some pics of these on a separate thread on here a short while ago if my memory is still working. I had these fitted to a Sport Classic when I owned one .

• Like Like x 1
  17. When you make the trip to mine, you can have a bimble on mine, 1990 whitey. :upyeah:

18. ahhh you got one? Be nice to see mate

19. It is a superlight I’m liking

20. 900ss are the best.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information