1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Thought I’d start this as much for myself as anything. But would be good to get any helpful comments as I go.
    Going to be a slow process due to lack of time but I’m servicing my 900 for the first time ( never done a Ducati before)

So took covers off to look at the belts

upload_2018-12-30_15-56-10.jpeg

upload_2018-12-30_15-56-30.jpeg

Should there be much movement in the belts, currently I’d say at the slackest point they move about 10mm ?

2. Not sure if I’d did this or if it was like it before I started,
    upload_2018-12-30_15-58-3.jpeg

Is it repairable ?
    ( In the past I’ve had British bikes and done a fair few bodges :))

3. Firstly the belts, that seems pretty slack. How old are they as they stretch over time. They are pretty easy to do, loosen, remove, put new ones on then tension using allen key method (its not as exact a science as some might have you believe) alternatively you can tension more precisely using Gates app ( measures frequency whilst you twang the belt).

As regards the lug, itll be fixable, although its under stress that part so Im not sure what you would use to make it strong, prehaps some mesh with fibreglass. Its a weak point.

If you need any other help just pop questions up its relatively straight forward servicing a 2 valve

4. Thank you @Desmoquattro

The belts were done year before I got the bike in 2015. I haven’t used it this year but am trying to get it done for spring. ( not much free time to do it :()
    Sounds like belts are ok to do, I think there’s a lot of scare stories about but I’m reasonably confident.

Never done any fibreglass repairs so probably ask some questions when I come to do it.

Thanks again, I’m sure there will be more questions :)

Edit - I thought the belts felt slack. Wasn’t sure as never done one before.

5. New-fit and in-service tension values are not the same.

For @Exige 's 4v belts for instance, the new-fit tension is, iirc, 99Hz and the in-service tension is 90Hz.
    Just download the Gates CarbonDrive app to your smartphone and you will be able to check the tension.
    I'm sure @Exige will be able to confirm what the in-service tension should be for your 2v motor.
    It's easier to check if you have a plug-in microphone for your phone but it can be done without, it's just more fiddly to get an accurate, reliable reading.

6. Excuse my ignorance on this but what are the advantages of tensioning the belts using frequency ?
    Life of the belts ?
    Less likely to fail ?

7. Belt tension is measured in Hz these days and although There are ways such as the Allen key method and the twist method to set new fit tension, I haven’t heard of a way to check in service tension.
    That doesn’t mean there isn’t one of course.

8. Thank you.

Certainly no harm in downloading an app and doing it that way.

Any recommendations for a mic ?
    Either for iPhone or android tablet

9. I just got a cheap mic off eBay to fit my iPhone - cost me 2 or three pounds

• Like Like x 1
  10. The IE is only a 2V engine, so the 5mm allen key principle is OK - I didn't have to change my belts even after three years, but I did anyway generally at two years.

You don't need a frequency test for the belts on the 2V engines unless you are right up your own ar*e.

Ducati simply worked on 10lb tension hence their tool which you can do the same with a simple fish weighing scale.

11. To me the belts look ok, but could do with adjusting. The bike has only done about 2000 miles since they were fitted.
    I am tempted to just adjust them as they feel slack to me.
    But with all the scare stories I’ve read about I don’t know if I am brave enough to ‘risk’ it.

12. Allegedly, a slack belt can affect valve timing and if it's really slack, can jump teeth, which could wreck your engine.
    So, imho, you really should at least check the tension.
    Ducati recommend changing every two years but many people go to 3 or 4 years. I doubt many go beyond that, so maybe you should change them now and know you are safe.

13. Yes, I think I will play it safe and change the belts.
    If nothing else I don’t have the time or money to rebuild the engine if it went bang.

14. When I did the belts on my M900 I set them with 45 degree twist (for cars use 90 degrees). Old school but will be fine for 2V.
    On my ST4 engine (4V) I initially set with 45 degree twist and checked frequency with a guitar tuner app. This was after 14 years and approx. 8,000 miles so your 3 years will be fine... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hmm....

Money / Time is tight.
    I’m very tempted to leave them and just adjust them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I left my belts for 8 years or so, no prob's, I just checked the tension/condition annually, when removed they could've done another 8 years, BTW belts don't stretch, the teeth wear creating more play, or the rubber/fibre ages and deteriorates. Remember to check the adjuster and guide bearings also.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I tend to do mine every 3 or 4 years generally, as there is clearly movement over 4 years and 2000 miles, if it was my bike I would change them. It doesnt take long and the cost is spread over a fair bit of time. My 2c

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The more I think about it the more I think I’d be silly not to.
    I won’t do many miles and they shouldn’t need doing again for a few years.

Seems silly not to.

Might even pluck up the courage to check valve clearances too, though I’ve never done shims.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Go for it, what could possibly go wrong??
    The belts are easy, just remember the vertical cam pulley (as I remember) will spin a bit when you remove the belt so just spin it back by hand and engage new belt teeth.
    Valve checking isn't hard but take plenty of time as it's your first time doing it. 99% chance they will be fine :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Kelley, of CaliforniaCycleworks and ExactFit belts, reckons that belts do stretch initially but then stabilise. His findings are that his belts stretch less than the Gates ones.
    Ducati must also believe that their Gates belts stretch as they have a recommended in-service figure of 90Hz, which I believe is the same in-service figure as for ExactFit belts. Gates belts iirc have a higher initial-fit figure of 110Hz.
    I'm sure @Exige will correct any of these figures, as there have been a number of adjustments to them in recent years.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information