1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Rear Brake Caliper Assembly

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by rhubarb and custard, Mar 16, 2020.

1. I have a 1993 Superlight with an under slung rear brake caliper I'm after an assembly diagram of the wheel,caliper, swingarm and spacers , since removing and replacing the rear wheel the rear brake makes a terrible noise at slow speed, I suspect I've stuffed up somewhere.!
    Ta.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. That looks about right.! Maybe I've shifted the pads a bit.

3. Thanks very much by the way.!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think , looking at the diagram I may have missed out the spacer between the wheel and the carrier.
    I'll have a look at the weekend.

5. The cone spacer goes between the swingarm and the carrier bearing with the pointy part of the cone against the bearing inner race as Ducati Dad said above.
    Below is the correct image showing Item 25.

upload_2020-3-17_14-50-8.png

6. If you did miss the carrier spacer, torqued up the axle and rode it I would put a new carrier bearing in as all the load of the axle torque was directly on the races.

7. Cheers for the thought Jon I think what I've done is put the spacer on the side with the cone so I've ended up with a bit of free play on the carrier side to side hence the noise, the carrier doesn't have a bearing as none of it rotates.

• WTF WTF x 1
  8. Look at the diagram I posted above.

Two bearings in the wheel and two bearings in the carrier.

The tapered side of the spacer has to go against the centre race only of the outer carrier bearing.

#12 Arquebus, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  9. If the spacer washer was left out and you torqued the axle up, the left side of the swingarm will be pulled in towards the wheel so that when the wheel turns the central boss of the carrier rubs on the swingarm...........that would make a terrible noise.

I have just done a very simple diagram (below) of the sprocket / carrier side.
    I have left out the bearing retaining ring.

Hub.jpg

#13 Arquebus, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. Ah we're talking about different things.! You are right but I'm referring to the brake carrier not the sprocket side. I know I have the cone washer in correctly.! and you'd be right to be alarmed.!
    I'm pretty sure all I've done is left out the shouldered washer between the brake carrier and the wheel which has left a bit of free play in the brake carrier hence the noise.

11. Yes, on the other side there are two top hat type bushes and a spacer between them, as below.

upload_2020-3-20_13-58-36.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Would he have the thrust bearing type caliper carrier like i have on my 1991 900ss also fitted to the SL as well ?

13. He has an SL with the underslung caliper (and should have the rod arrangement too) so I expect it to be the same as yours, ie like the diagram showing the carrier and bushes; rather than the other arrangement without the rod Lumbux has on his Mystery Machine.

14. As previously mentioned between us, mine has this bearing assembly fitted in the underslung carrier with rod support

[​IMG]

15. At long last I've had a chance to look at the spacers and all are correct, however the rose joints on the reaction rod are pretty dry with some minor play so I'm thinking its some kind of resonance through them. I will replace them with some oem ones see if that fixes it, they need doing anyway.
    Mine doesn't have the bearing race shown in portboy's post.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information