1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Two Different Types Of Hydraulic Clutch?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, May 20, 2019.

1. I've discovered that the hydraulic clutch which came from my spare 900ss engine (from a Bimota DB2) is actually slightly different to the one from my bike (on left).

DB2 version on right, which has the main connection on front and separate bleed on top. I've refurbed the casing on the DB2 version, which is why it looks different cosmetically.

Just interested to know why the difference, and which is the later design?

FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg

2. The piston diameter looks bigger in the DB2 version. Am I right?

3. They did this with the SB6 and others as well, modifying the stock item to suit their own requirement of packaging or in the case of the SB6, they wanted to use brembo masters so they had to sleeve it down to reduce piston size.
    the one on the right will be easier to live with as the piston diameter is bigger.
    The body is longer as well to accommodate the banjo fitting.
    They probably did this later on after feedback about clutch pull.
    My guess is right hand one was the later one. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ive never seen one like the one on the right fitted to a Ducati, must have been a Bimota only design.

5. The 2nd photo above makes the size misleading I think, because the 'DB2' version is sitting higher off the worktop.
    In the photos below, I've put them exactly side by side.

My original one needs cleaning up; I can see some white goo inside. What's the best way of servicing these?

IMG_8256.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

6. you can get a rebuild kit from ducati for them. Just use an airline to pop the pistons out.

7. Diameter still looks wider to me....it only needs to be 2mm wider to make significant difference in the weight on the lever when pulling.

8. I've had a DB" and looked at HUNDREDS of photos of them and never seen a modified slave cyl like that. (check out images on google!) Are you sure its original? Anything possible with a Bimota of course (depends on which suppliers they had paid as to what was fitted a lot of the time) but certainly not a usual item IMHO.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information