1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

907ie Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by GrayVtwin, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Well, I guess if I'd been sitting in a damp stable since 2005 I wouldn't be looking great either! However, it's on the bench now and all the plastic came off easily thanks to the former owner having copper greased all the fasteners. According to the records it was serviced in 2004 and that looks about right as the air filter looks new. Although the ignition key is correct the tank lock barrel (any idea where I can get another?) is different so I had to take the whole fitting off to drain the tank. Inside of the tank looks ok and as there was lots of fuel its not too sludgy .. will flush it out in due course. Engine paint is peeling off and the casings need a bit of tlc but not too bad. There is a spy ball alarm fitted .. so that will be the first thing to go in the skip. Really good clean up over the next few days and then I'll be able to see exactly what I've got. Absolutely no rush with this project so this thread may be ongoing for a long time! Mike
    IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice one Mike, looking forward to seeing your progress.

3. Look forward to watching this restoration

4. This is something I need to do to mine. Although externally it is virtually immaculate, below the fairings it's not so nice as I'd like. I repainted the heads, barrels and outer cases about 4 years ago but ideally the whole engine should come out to do it right. Then I could strip the rest down and have the frame which is getting a bit crusty in places powder coated. But with 2 other bikes in my small garage I barely have space to do anything. So think it's just going to have to wait. 907ie.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Connected a battery up today and can report the lights and horn work! SpyBall removed. I think the belts are the next job. Might be a week or two before I get to that though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Forks off and away to Philpots for grinding/re-chroming and rebuild. Much cleaning and polishing on-going. Belts on the bench, need to order a fuel filter and a new battery. Next up-date in 2020!

• Like Like x 4
  7. I'm excited to see your progress.

8. Update. Clutch is very worn and a couple of the pressure plates are a little distorted .. so they'll need replaced. Tank has a minor leak (welds) but found someone local who can weld that. Inside the tank is a mess .. crud not rust .. thinking about how to tackle it (I don't want to ruin the original paint work if possible) .. Need to order filters and soak the pump in solvent to clean out the mesh etc. Rubber seals very soft but saveable. Next job belts and compression test I think .. assisted by very capable friend who happens to be a former Ducati technician (it helps!). He is also going to test the electrics .. a real black art as far as I am concerned! Meanwhile trying to source fork slider guides so Philpotts can finish the fork rebuild. All good fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's the belts on! Tested the fuel pump and it is clogged solid with goo. Filter needs replaced too. I've been looking around and can get a new pump but the filters seem hard to obtain .. so, I've found one, that looks a little different with filter from Merlin Motorsports .. it's is specified as a direct replacement though .. I wonder if anyone has used one of these? Once I can get a pump that works we'll try and fire it up .. a little concerned the injectors will be blocked too but one thing at a time. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Mike

10. For a fuel filter you can use a Mahle KL147 available from Opie Oils
    The fuel pump complete with mesh pick up filter is available from Glencoe Ltd

11. Thanks Derek, just ordered the pump.

12. So, we checked all the electrics, cleaned all the connections etc, took the ECU apart .. looks as though there has been some condensation but won't know if it's going to work until we try and fire it up. Stripped off all the cooling system and cleaned the sensors. Discovered the thermostat is shot and is out of production, got hold of new one from another Ducati that is the same but 'the wrong way round', so some creative hose rerouting will be required .. we like a challenge?! It wouldn't be fun if it was easy ... would it!! Fortunately there is no hurry and it will live again ..... eventually!!!
    Meanwhile I have the rebuilt forks back, so will grease the head bearings next and put then back on.

13. The thermostat is the same as for the 851 and 888 if you can find one. I managed to source a spare a couple of years ago. The thermostats for the later bikes have the side outlet on the opposite side relative to the elbow and the water pump faces forward instead of upward which makes re-plumbing difficult.
    Some folks have managed to dismantle the thermostat and fit it with a working insert from a later one and then successfully seal it up again. I think this could be quite difficult though.
    The ECUs are normally pretty robust and I'd be surprised if it doesn't work.

14. If you do take the thermostat apart you could use one of these V-band clamps to hold it together on reassembly.

15. Thanks Derek .. the replacement I got is, supposedly for an 851/888 but is the wrong way round .. as are the ones currently advertised online. So, some thought is required! Reassembly may be the way forward .. on the other hand my guru suggests re-plumbing. We will see! All good fun?!

16. Those ones advertised will not fit an 851/888

17. We've opted for the rebuild route and I have got one of these. It came to bits ok so all that is required is to put it back together and hope the seals hold! Will report back in due course. Thank for all the pointers.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information