1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916/998 Indoor Cover

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Gingertom, May 4, 2017.

1. Hi All

I'm looking for an indoor dust cover (Ducati original) for my 998. Any out there?

2. Ducati did not make a specific model cover for the Ducati 998 that I am aware of unlike the one for the 748SPS and 748R, which was actually pretty poor and disintegrated over time, mine turned literally to dust!!. There should be some generic ones available though and quite possibly one of their new covers for the modern bikes may well fit.

I do have a 998 accessories catalogue if you want me to check if one was available at the time of manufacture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not specific to the 998 or any other model but I have the Ducati Performance Superbike cover and am very happy with it. Going to be looking for similar for Mrs M's Monster too...

Shop around and you may find them elsewhere a little cheaper ;)

DUCATI INDOOR BIKE COVER

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hey guys

Thanks for the replies, really useful. I was after one of the original ones, generic for the 748/916/996/998 series. They seem to be a real close fit, although as they turn to dust then maybe there's not many around these days! So, the hunt continues.....

5. The 748SPS ones were all Yellow and had Ducati 748 printed on them, I believe some 748R covers were made in red although I have only seen the Yellow ones. The material is not dissimilar to a J cloth!! and is ventilated. They tend to rip quite easily and then just harden and crumble.

You would be better off with a good cotton cover and I would suggest maybe looking beyond what Ducati did and do offer. I am sure there are better quality covers out there.

Dust Off Motorcycle Covers - In garage and waterproof bike covers for all types of motorcycle including superbikes, trail bikes, cruisers, classics, touring and street bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I hasve a Ducati corse cover going as i no longer have a ducati, I'm guessing it should fit the 916, as it was too tight on my 1198s,
    After £25 inc postage

IMG_0632.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi Rawdon

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for one of the covers tailored specifically for the 916 series, with the mirror pockets etc. I think this one is a bit more generic?

8. I don't think there is one, the original genuine dust cover, certainly for the 748R\SPS did not have mirror pockets, and I have not come across one that has for this model.

I think you will need to look for a generic aftermarket one.

#8 Red998, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  9. I have one for 916. It has pockets for mirrors. Its made of quite thin paperish materiel similar to those white suits you were in clean zones. I got it on fleabay if I recall correctly. However it seems robust enough and Ive not torn or damaged it yet.

10. This is an OEM one for 916 series that a friend has. It seems like they are pretty thin on the ground......

IMG_1334.PNG

11. Hi, I'll take it at that price! I'm overseas but could you post it to my daughter in Hampshire and even better I can get her to pay you as well?
    Drop me a pm with your details and I'll get it organised!
    Joe

#11 JoeC, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Out of interest I checked the Ducati Performance and Accessory catalogue that i got when i bought my 998 new in 2002. That shows 4 covers one for the Ben Bostron replica which is Red\White\Blue, One Fogarty replica cover which is Red and has his signature on it, a generic cloth cover which was available in Red or Yellow and a "Class" (whatever that is!) cloth cover which is\was available in Red. Neither of the last two seem to have mirror pockets

So it must have been only available pre 2002 so will be very hard to find now i would imagine unless someone is making copies or effectively knock offs and selling them on places like eBay. I have seen a few DP parts like that, clutches were quite common at one time being sold as DP when in fact there were just not so good quality copies.

Good luck with your search, nice covers though the ones with pockets above.

13. Hey Red998, thanks for the research and funnily enough I bought my 998 new in 2002 as well. Kicking myself that I didn't buy a cover way back then.

14. Has anyone found the 916 series bike cover that had pockets for the rear view mirrors? I'm still looking for one. On August 26th, here, in this forum, a member sold one but I didn't see it in time...

15. Sorry mate, that was me who bought it. I could ask the person I bought it off if he remembers the manufacturer. I think the person who sold this to Tom had to pay the company who made them originally quite a bit to re produce a new one off job again.
    Let me know if I can help. Ian

16. Again..
    https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/basket/page_907

17. So is Ian's cover from classic additions?

18. I'll ask the seller on Monday when I meet up with him.
    Might be worth your while just getting the DP one for £60. TBH, it's just as good a fit.

IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG

This is the one with mirror pockets

19. Hmmmm you're right. It does look good. I must have missed them. Did someone allay recommended them in another thread...? Did someone already link the company that sells them?

#19 Tommaso, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information