1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Bip To Mono Ecu Question

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Haydn, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Im currently looking for a mono subframe for my 1997 bip, but they all seem to mount the ecu across the rear of the subframe. Im not sure if my ecu would fit those mounting points or if the loom would stretch that far. Also some pictures I've found show the mono subframe with a larger ecu sitting in the same position as the bip.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Haydn

2. Once you loosen all the rubber ties, there was enough slack for me to refine in order to locate mine. But only just. If I remember I will take a pic when i'm in the garage tomorrow.

3. There are two (at least) versions of mono subframe, 1 for the (larger) P8 ECU and 1 for the 16M ECU but you will probably find more of the P8 version and the ECU won't fit directly to it. I have one on my 916 and had to make a bracket to hold it, also you will need to re-route some cables and even extend some to get a good fit with biposto wiring harness.

I ended up moving everything back enough to reach the ECU but then had to extend the cables to the temp sensor (under headlight) and at least one of the underseat relays to get them to fit out of the way of the underseat breather tank that I also fitted but you could leave this if you're not fitting the tank.

One thing for sure is that it gets congested under there if you go the whole hog;

[​IMG]

4. i just fitted a mono frame and i just got some pipe lagging foam, cable tied that round the two bars on the subframe and then rested the ecu on that and cable tied it down. only cable that will need extending is the earth wire as you cant connect it to subframe anymore.

will take a piccy tomoro...

5. The OP does understand you dont need the mono frame to add the mono seat?

6. There's a bit of work involved if you want to get a mono subframe to sit with the ECU in the correct place as has been mostly mentioned above.

I have seen a mono subframe where brackets were welded into the the normal position of the biposto subframe ECU mounting and If I was doing something like that without going the whole hog that is what I would do.

There are three alloy subframes that I am aware of, the stock 748 style mono which takes the 16M ECU, the 9** SPS style for P8 ECU's and the 748RS style which also takes a quick release carbon fibre moulding, as pictured below. Should you ever find one I suspect the 16M ECU would fit as it seems to have the mounting holes.

rs-naked-rear-600x450.jpg

7. Seems odd that most of the after market ones are configured to accommodate the P8?

8. Really wanted to get a mono subrame and do it properly but I'm more tempted to leave the bp subframe on now. It is a bp after all and makes it easier to change back. Does anyone know of any genuine mono tails up for sale? Ive found a genuine sps one but its up for £400.

Cheers
    Haydn

9. I've bought new one for £250

10. Really where was that from?

11. hello mate ive got a red with white number boards single seat unit with seat pad and brake lights in it if your interested??

12. what colour you need?

13. My subbie cost me £125 about 8-10yrs ago.

14. I'd say that would equate to about £175 now as that is what a few have gone on eBay for. 748/9** prices are rising now as parts get harder to find.

15. Cookster, can you PM me pics and a price, is it genuine?

Yev,

Solid red or red and white.

Cheers
    Haydn

16. sorry, mate , mine is yellow, i can get another NEW one at that price , but only in yellow

Do Not Sell My Personal Information