1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Clutch Arm Problem.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Danny88, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Hi all, this isn’t a thread about the pain in my wrists I have riding the 916 as I think it’s to be expected, I’m 6”3 and too tall for it really I suspect but sod it.

My issue is after about 30 mins of riding even with or without a brake I’m getting massive pain in my clutch hand to the point I can’t actually physically pull the clutch in anymore.

The clutch isn’t especially hard to pull but I think as my hand is angled at near 90 degrees (exaggerated) multiple clutch pulls makes the top of my hand (tendons), wrist and arm hurt and then cramp up.

Just wondered it it’s something I could tackle with different levers, I think I’ll try to alter the angle of the lever now to reduce the angle but hoped someone had this issue and fixed it with something specific.

Thanks.

Dan

2. Pull the roll pin out of the bar that fixes the master cylinder position then angle the lever down a little. It's an old problem that causes pain in the wrists. I did mine years ago and it made the difference between doing a 100 miles and 300 miles.
    If you sit on the bike, you're aiming for a straight arm from shoulder, thru elbow and wrist, and with a flat hand resting on top of the grip and fingers resting on top of the lever.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks nelly, I agree and will give it a go. Hopefully will fix it. Just need a double bubble screen now to stop the air blast into the face haha.

4. The angle of the levers is too extreme for anything but a race crouch, especially if you're tall/long arms.

I've got adjustable bars and so have them raised a bit, you can't raise them much though or they hit the fairing. But the biggest benefit for me is that the bars are also longer, meaning I sit with my arms further apart which is much more comfortable, then with the levers angled down slightly I find it quite comfortable for long distances.

5. Good idea hanks Martin.

6. Thanks for your reply I’m searching for some now.

7. All good ideas... just to add, the more miles you do, the easier it gets.
    When I first got mine I couldn’t do 100 miles without my wrists killing me. Went out for a 350 mile / 12 hours riding, run today and only got wrist ache for about the last 20 miles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information