1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Not Revving Out

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ayrton White, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hi Guys,

My 916 on the last ride has stopped revving out under load. Runs sweet up until mid rev range and wont go beyond this. Starts fine - feels like it is basically restricted.

My feeling is maybe a fuelling issue - fuel pump or blocked fuel lines. However has anyone else experienced similar and have any recommended first go toos?

Thanks

2. Before you get into the complicated stuff, make sure the fuel cap breather isn't blocked. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Could be one of quite a few things. Some serious some not so. Fueling (pressure, dirty injectors insufficient flow as mentioned). Cam timing out (slipped a tooth) Blocked exhaust. Restricted air intake. Plugs. Valve adjustment (shims). I think you just need to work through the list.

4. First things to check are for split fuel line or blocked fuel filter.

• Like Like x 2
  5. When was the fuel filter swapped out? Without getting all techy' that's first place I'd start

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. +1 on the fuel filter, I had exactly the same happen on my 916. If you do end up replacing it make sure you use the Mahle (made in Germany) filters the Italian made ones are prone to the element collapsing and causing similar issues.

7. I had the same problem a year or so ago it was a faulty eprom chip

8. Found some time to change fuel filter today - and that was the issue! Many thanks!

• Like Like x 6
  9. I had the same issue but I get a hiss noise dead on 4K, on or over it goes away

Put in Fuel injector cleaner, it stopped the restriction as you call it ; waiting on new fuel lines , going to swap out the lot and the filter :)

Glad you got it sorted

10. ke y

Spoke to soon, problem is back again. Ran fine for 20 minutes now issue is back!!

11. Mine was like that , very intermittent

After a track day and an Italian tune up ; she seems more lively :p

12. It sounds as though you might be on the right track though,if you replaced the fuel filter and it did not suffer for a short while then it could be fuel related. Can you check for any restrictions? as mentioned have you trying when it happens pull over and open the tank? does it pop or sound as though its vacuumed? Try to work out if it is fuel related, I had a car that drove me mad, turned out it had sediment in the bottom of the pipe. As the car drove it would be a while before it finally slowed down and at times cut out. Waited a short while and then it started again. Eventually found it when i had checked everything. My view is to replace only when you find something faulty. Or try one item at a time to troubleshoot.
    Vinny

13. Yeah i think we are on the path. Ive had the tank in bits again. Ive double checked the breather pipes, double checked the tank for rust. But all good. Tomorrow im going to run some injector cleaner and fresh fuel.

14. Did you check for a small split in the fuel pipe that connects the filter to the outlet. This degrades over time and fuel pressure is lost. Little at first but gets worse.

Has to be special pipe suitable for immersion in what passes for petrol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. is it different when the tank is full?

16. Hi Ayrton,

Can you please respond to one of the PMs / emails I've sent you about the £150 I paid for the top fairing that I've yet to receive? I understand that real life gets in the way sometimes, but after a week of no parts and no communications I'm understandably worried.

Thanks
    Ian

17. Sorted?

18. Think so. He got in touch yesterday. Waiting on a tracking number but I think we are good. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I take that back. Haven’t heard anything since, no parcel or tracking number and @Ayrton White has not responded to my emails.

Getting tedious now. I don’t like feeling like a mug... :mad:

20. Thanks to the wonder of the Internet it was no real hassle to track down where @Ayrton White works and give him a tinkle on the phone... just to check in.

I managed to get my 150 quid back immediately via PayPal, which is good.

For other members, I'd consider your expectations carefully if dealing with him, as "this isn't eBay" and "he's not a shop". I agree entirely with those statements, however if I had 150 quid of someone's money that'd been paid in good faith I'd have at least responded to their emails, and after almost 4 weeks perhaps even managed to post the thing they'd paid for... :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information