1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Pain!!!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Gary0003, May 6, 2018.

1. Hi - I need help!!
    1998 916 BP

Murder to ride after 45 mins - my wrists/back are too old for the position! Can I drop the forks through the yoke? How do I do it and how much is it safe to drop them please? Also how do I support the front of the bike while I do it?

2. Don't ride after 45 minutes:pmaybe another style of bike is required my friend:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Changing the fork position won’t alter the ergonomics of bar/seat/ peg relationship.
    You need different bars or footpegs or both...or a different bike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. As said above. Bar / yoke risers and adjustable rearsets. These help but at the end of the day, you need to put miles on it to get rid of the wrist ache.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Open roads to keep velocity up so that wind blast supports chest. 916 hates going slow, in traffic or plodding. Physical exercise helps too if your nabbing on a bit. Do your stretches, a few push ups a day and some sit ups, crouches etc. Ive just checked and your definitely nabbing on a bit. Like me. Im afraid we have to work for it now. We're no spring chickens. Exercise helps.

Rearsets, etc will do diddly squat. Its a 916. For 80% of the time it will be a pain in the wrists, back, knees. 20% of the time will be velvet. Bar/yoke risers will look pants.

Its a 916.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    1. How often are you riding it?
    2. Are you very tall?
    3. Are you in poor physical health?
    4. Do you have a short neck?
    5. What helmet are you wearing?
    6. What clothes are you wearing on the bike?
    7. Are you old / fat?
    8. Are you doing stretches or anything before and after riding, depending upon the answer above?
    If it's a bike you've not ridden before and have already "tuned" it for your fit then you might just need a bit of time on it to let your muscles get used to the new position.

6. Bar risers or buy a monster.

7. Had cycle cat adjustable bars on my old 916, Massive difference 2010-05-16 10.02.40.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buy a multistrada!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Got similar on mine. Helps a lot and getting the rearsets as far back as you can.

10. If it makes you feel any better I'm 65 and still have to stretch the back after 120 miles when I fuel up.
    Steve

• Like Like x 4
  11. E3AFD6AA-DC4C-456A-B0BB-92E299256C09.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. My 1098 i find ok but the 916 was uncomfotable.
    it had been off the road for some time and i didnt realuse how uncomfortable it was.till i recomisioned it
    Anyhow
    i bought Gilles adjustable bars and some chinese multi adjustable rearsets.
    comfy as hell now
    having said that its still a sports bike
    what i have done is still expensive
    what if you spe.nd that money and iitscstill not you want
    20 years ago i bought my bike and when i got off it the first thing i said was "what the Fuck have i done" the riding position was so extreme age has forced me to do something

13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Agree with others here that the main remedy has to be exercise and strengthening the wrists. Wrist stretches will help maintain flexibility and joint strength: calisthenics enthusiasts, martial artists (like me, I’m now 49) and gymnasts use a floor stretch - basically whilst on ‘all fours’ you reverse your wrists (rotate the outwards, and backwards towards the 180 degree position) so that the fingers point backwards. Then lean gently forwards and you’ll feel the stretch. Do it very gently at first. Over a period of weeks or months, this will help. Also relaxing on the bike: using legs and core strength, rather than just arms, to hold some of your upper body weight off the bars.

15. The 916 is designed as a race bike. It's not going to be THAT comfortable.. ever. I found that once I had toned up a bit.. core exercises, it was loads better as it helps take the weight of your wrists and back..... or as a previous poster- get a multistrada, they are awesome!

16. I used to take my 996 through Wales and it was agony and yet wonderful when you are in the zone. I changed it for a Multistrada and no regrets. All day comfort and still quick enough and a great all rounder..

• Like Like x 1
  17. What they say is basically correct, BUT, if you sell the 916 and buy a Multi you will regret it til the day you die!
    The Multi is a good bike but it's built down to a price, the fixtures and fittings are cheap and the finish is crap (I know cos I've got one) and you will NEVER go to the garage just to look at it.
    If you can only do 45 mins then do 45 mins then stop for coffee and cake, problem solved!!
    Here's mine (never bothered to take a photo of the Multi, that should tell yo something) WP_20150620_18_12_14_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nice

19. Have u looked at Helibar Trackstars? They are pricey but the are the most factory looking option and are completely pre-drilled ready for all the switchgear etc. This will just bring the bars a touch closer and stop them dropping off so much at the ends which is in itself a source of pain.

Don’t give up on the bike, there is definitely such a thing as ‘bike fit’ and you can help with things like an aftermarket clutch slave to ensure a lighter action and making sure that when u ride on straight sections of road you grip the tank and hold yourself up with your body and let your arms rest and hands relax

Do Not Sell My Personal Information