1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Petrol Cap Refresh.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Davyd, May 16, 2020.

1. The silver is.
    Not so sure about the Hammerite. Satin petrol resistant lacquer on top would be though if in doubt.

2. I know what you'll be doing with that free time this week.:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nice job, gotta love the elepharnts.

4. I used Hammerstein smooth gold on my 748 cap many many years ago- it didn’t react to the petrol so I am confident it is petrol resistant.

Hammerstein = Hammerite!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Thank you @Davyd

Just the silver bezel on mine needed doing. Halfords for the Simonize paint this morning.

FC68F063-A2BB-403F-9B91-AF266E22CE05.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  6. Feck me that was super quick work.:dizzy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. 449FA7E3-C753-42BE-8F2F-53BB1C020007.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Did the cap. Had a ride out. Cooking roast lamb dinner. Busy busy busy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm going to name you the Uzi,when you squeeze the trigger there's no stopping you.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Top job, thanks for the share.

11. What a cracking job. Thanks for sharing. My monster cap needs doing. Taking it apart looks a bit daunting thougho_O

12. It’s really easy to take apart just take plenty of ref pics the most difficult part is taking the roll pins out to separate the outer silver ring from the gold cap. I use a fine small flat blade screwdriver to wedge it in the gap of the roll pin and whilst moving the cap back and forward twist the screwdriver to catch the pins and pull and they slid out. If you catch my drift!

13. Thanks for the explanation, I will definitely have a go

14. EA9CFFCE-68F5-45F6-8685-489A00C01004.png So it’s bugging me that the little spring which helps keep the little flap covering the keyhole covered is broke. Would it be possible they it’s sold separate would there be a part number for it?

15. The part fische only shows a number for the whole filler cap. Do you know anyone who makes clocks or works on watches as they may be able to make one from scratch?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Would the spring from a biro work, temporarily.

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. Now there’s a thought and I’ll definitely try it

• Like Like x 2
  18. @WAYNE
    Update on petrol resistance of silver paint. It has to be cured in your domestic oven to enable the petrol resistance and it says not to lacquer over.
    I would find another paint if just doing the bezel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. image.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information